7mm Bullet Advice Please

I know you said those 3 are the bullets you have, BUT, since you mentioned the .280AI, I'll throw this out to ya.... With RE 23, Fed 215, Nosler brass & 143g Hammer Hunter, I have a sub MOA load that averages 3312fps, SD 5.3, ES 13. This rifle also shoots the 168 Berger Classic Hunter w/ RE 23, at average 2996fps, .7MOA, 12 SD, 24 ES. FYI. Good luck on your quest.

Out of the Bullets you mentioned, the partition is hard to beat performance wise in my personal experience, although I'm sure you will get great reviews on all mentioned due to shooters/hunters personal favorite. Similar to cartridges.

I have been shooting 7mm 139gn Hornady Interlock out of my new rifle at a Lab Radar speed of 3200 fps. I am considering changing bullets.

My three choices are:

1. 139gn Hornady Interbond
2. 140gn Nosler Partition
3. Continue with the 139gn Hornady BTSP

Targets are Paper and WT Deer, distances up to 300yds (500yds if needed)

Please explain your choice.
either 1 or 2. not much of a difference. Both will penetrate and drive through an animal. I shot a NP for 15 years with no complaints. I eventually went to a softer bullet that was heavier and never looked back. Heavier softer bullet that had high hydro shock potential that would still drive was and still is in my opioion was the new ticket for me
with that, in a 7mm

I personally like a heavy bullet. 160 grain bullet is hard to beat in a 7mm for general hunting.
if you are going to shoot distance the 168-175-180 bullets with high BC are hard to beat.
one problem I had alone time ago with lighter bullets in the 7mm was when I shot in the thicker woods the bullet for me deflected some on brush and limbs. just My experience.
good luck

Might TRY some, StaBall 65, in 7mm-08 with those Heavier Bullets ( 160's+ ), as it becomes, "a whole nother, Animal" ( Ackley Speeds, out of, the std. 7mm -08 Chamber ! )
My son, is getting 2,765 FPS with StaBall 65, in his 7mm-08 using, the Berger 168 HVLD's that, shoot around, 1/2 MOA !
He has, a Pretty "Wallet Group" in his garage of, 5 shots ,in 3/8 th's of, an inch, ctr to ctr.
Hogdon Reloading, HAS StaBall Data, using a Sierra Bullet so "work up" CAREFULLY !
I Think, my son started at, 45 grains and worked up to 47.5 ish,.. IIRC !

I have been shooting 7mm 139gn Hornady Interlock out of my new rifle at a Lab Radar speed of 3200 fps. I am considering changing bullets.

My three choices are:

1. 139gn Hornady Interbond
2. 140gn Nosler Partition
3. Continue with the 139gn Hornady BTSP

Targets are Paper and WT Deer, distances up to 300yds (500yds if needed)

Please explain your choice.
My Browning BAR Mk 3 in 7mm mag loves 160 grain Nosler Partitions.

I have my wife shooting 139 Interlocks out of her 7mm-08. In 2017 she dropped a buck antelope and a cow elk. Both were dead with the first shot although I had her put a 2nd one in the cow that wasn't really needed. Niether took a step. Two days ago she dumped a doe antelope. Another 1 shot kill.
I see no reason to change whats working. 139gr Interlock has been around and popular for a long time. There's a good reason why!

I have a 7STW and was shooting a 140 gr. bullet. Grouped well, but deer would run a short, 100yd., distance. Changed to the Swift Scirroco (sp) 150 gr. and then all deer were DRT! As Vol 1975 says, heavier is better.

Good choice in my opinion.

I'd try the partitions. I would start looking for accubond, tsx and ttsx as they might be easier to get to shoot well.

I shot AB's already, I'm continuing with the IB's, IL's and Partitions. Thanks for the reply.

I have my wife shooting 139 Interlocks out of her 7mm-08. In 2017 she dropped a buck antelope and a cow elk. Both were dead with the first shot although I had her put a 2nd one in the cow that wasn't really needed. Niether took a step. Two days ago she dumped a doe antelope. Another 1 shot kill.
I see no reason to change whats working. 139gr Interlock has been around and popular for a long time. There's a good reason why!
I shot the IL's in a 7mm-08 and they work fine. I'm working on a new cartridge and wanted to solicit opinion. Thanks.

I know you said those 3 are the bullets you have, BUT, since you mentioned the .280AI, I'll throw this out to ya.... With RE 23, Fed 215, Nosler brass & 143g Hammer Hunter, I have a sub MOA load that averages 3312fps, SD 5.3, ES 13. This rifle also shoots the 168 Berger Classic Hunter w/ RE 23, at average 2996fps, .7MOA, 12 SD, 24 ES. FYI. Good luck on your quest.

I also have 139 GMX and some Barnes TTSK but I am not loading solids for this cartridge at this time. Thanks.

Thanks to all who replied, here is a little back ground on the situation. Many years ago Hornady was giving away 1,000 bullets instead of the current 500 for the larger equipment purchases as rebate for their Get Loaded Promotion. Delivery of the 7mm IL's was so delayed they offered me an option of any bullets they had in stock and allowed me to split my selection. I chose 500 GMX and 500 Interbonds. I already had SGK's and Interlocks and decided to shoot them as not to waste premium bullets for powder evaluation loading for a 7mm-08, well the IL's shot sub MOA and killed deer so I Ieft well enough alone. In the mean time I acquired more IL's, and traded for Partitions and more IB's, just because there is no such thing as to many bullets...right?

Recently I re-barreled two LA rifles in straight SAAMI, a 284 Win (24"/8T) & 280AI. (24" 9.5T). I have worked and hunted a little with the 284 and have only fire formed with moderate charges of IMR4350 using the Interlocks in the AI (again not to wa$te premium bullet$). Accuracy was excellent during fire forming but the speed was basically the same as my 7-08, which seems pointless for a 280AI.

My brother has talked me into ladder testing for OCW and it makes sense to use the intended hunting bullet. So here I am sitting on a plie of various bullets and wondering where to start. With range time being the hardest component for me to acquire I thought I would ask.

Last edited:
Assuming proper shot placement, killing deer is easy-peasy. I typically use whichever bullet is producing the tightest groups before the hunting season. Accuracy & consistency breeds confidence when you are afield.