Build thread for PHPD1295

I'm going to have to plug that into a ballistic calculator and see how close it is to real world differences in altitude. It's hard to believe that 6,400' difference in altitude will give you 3" difference in zero at 100yds. I guess if I ever get to go on a hunt at high altitude I need to check zero on a range.
I will never buy an off the shelf rifle again unless it is for the action to customize it. There is no comparison! Lorenzo told me the trigger had more creep than he liked but I've never shot a custom trigger and I can't tell the difference. Maybe after more practice I will be able to tell the difference and I'll upgrade to a custom trigger. Lorenzo thanks again for an awesome rifle. I can truly say that it shoots as good as it looks. I don't think I can handload any ammo that will group better than the federal national match but I would like to try. If anyone has a pet load for the 308 with a bullet in the 160 to 180 grain range post it here so I can give it a try. The local range only goes to 200 yards so i will try that maybe this weekend if I get the time. Longer range shooting will have to wait until I find a place to shoot over 200.
To all the members who followed this thread and provided me with input on the build thanks a lot for your help and support. Hopefully I can work on a longer range rifle like a 300 mag for Elk or Bear. gun)

Again, congrats on a nice rifle to you and the smith. The elev. difference would not make 1/2" difference at 100 yards.....Rich

Lots of variables... The difference in point of impact doesn't surprise me at all. Different bullet, BC, velocity, pressure, temp, eye alignment, barrel harmonics, etc........................................

The range isn't much to brag about but I went on a day hunt this past weekend for my birthday and I got this buck with Grizzly. Only 100 yards but I hit exactly where I was aiming. Dropped him on the spot with a spine shot. Thanks a lot Grit.

Going hunting again this next weekend. Let's see what happens.

Attachments

• 2012 deer at ramirez ranch.jpg
    2012 deer at ramirez ranch.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 89
Sure does make hunting that much more fun when your shooting a rifle that means something to you!

I have a Rem 700 Sendero in 7mm mag that has been all over the place with me. I killed my first elk, antelope and a truckload of deer and coyotes with it. I have other rifles but this one always seems to wind up in the truck!

I'm afraid that the barrel is about gone as this rifle was the one that got me started shooting a lot and reloading. After seeing this I'm going to give Grit a call to see what the damage would be to straighten out the action and do a rebarrel job on her. Maybe I can get lucky enough to have a forum displayed rebuild!

Larenzo is a great guy to deal with. He recently built a 338 EDGE for me and it is a 1/2 moa rifle on a bad day. He kept me informed throughout the entire build to make sure everything was perfect. I will be giving him a call when I get the parts together for my next build.

Mike

Come to the darkside, and join the 'Brotherhood'
Have Lorenzo ream it out to 7STW, and true up the action while you are at it!
I've got a few small jobs for him--extended mag box, flute a bolt, etc.
I'll be calling him in a month or so, when I can't shoot anymore

Sure does make hunting that much more fun when your shooting a rifle that means something to you!

I have a Rem 700 Sendero in 7mm mag that has been all over the place with me. I killed my first elk, antelope and a truckload of deer and coyotes with it. I have other rifles but this one always seems to wind up in the truck!

I'm afraid that the barrel is about gone as this rifle was the one that got me started shooting a lot and reloading. After seeing this I'm going to give Grit a call to see what the damage would be to straighten out the action and do a rebarrel job on her. Maybe I can get lucky enough to have a forum displayed rebuild!

The range isn't much to brag about but I went on a day hunt this past weekend for my birthday and I got this buck with Grizzly. Only 100 yards but I hit exactly where I was aiming. Dropped him on the spot with a spine shot. Thanks a lot Grit.

Going hunting again this next weekend. Let's see what happens.

Very nice deer. It's great to have confidence in your rifle.

I might be a little biased because Lorenzo did such a great job on my rifle but I don't think you will find a better custom rifle builder at any price. I priced several different builders when I was ready to get my rifle built and they all were within a few hundred dollars in price. Lorenzo's price was in the middle of the road of all the ones I got quotes from. For me the deciding factor was ease of contact and customer service. Lorenzo was very easy to contact by phone and email. I even got some emails from him as late as 11:00 at night. His lead time was also one of the shortest. I don't know what it is now but back then he was quoting a 12 week build time and he came in maybe a week after that. I think that's a great estimation considering he might have had to wait for parts and suppliers. Other builders were in the range of 6 months or longer!
If you do decide to get the work done be sure to start a thread and post before and after pictures.:)

Last edited:
Going to give him a call this week. Whatever I decide to do I will put some pics up showing the before and after!

I don't know if it will apply to you or not but Lorenzo also gives a discount on labor to police officers and military. I am in law enforcement so I don't know if it applies to honorably discharged military or only active duty but if it does apply to you ask him.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts