What to build for daughter ?

7mm-08 all the way. My wife shoots one and loves it. It will shoot almost every bullet from 100 gr HP through 150 accubonds under half moa. She hunts deer, antelope, and elk with 140 ct silvertips with great effectiveness. I enjoy loading for that rifle more than any I own because It is not picky. Has been very efficient out past 700 yards, very little recoil, and components are readily available.

None of the 6mms.

I have been down this road twice before. When my daughter was 10, I bought her a Rem Model 7 in .260. FOr practice she shot 85 gr Sierra HPs over some 4759 for about 2100 fps. No recoil whatsoever. For deer hunting, I switched her to a 120 Ballistic Tip over 32.0 gr H4895 for 2400 fps. It was an enjoyable rifle to shoot and killed like lightning. Now that she is 22 years old (but still 105lbs soaking wet), I have changed to load to 38.0 varget with the same 120 BT for a bit over 2600 fps. still mild and quite accurate.

My niece got a Rem Model 700 youth in 7mm-08 when she was 11. We loaded it with 35.0 gr H4895 under a 140 Ballistic tip. Her first weekend hunting with that rig yielded three 1 shot kills out to a bit over 150 yards. It is also a very mild load.

In a short action, I would look at the .260, 7-08 and 6.5 Creedmoor. With a 20" barrel. Ballistic tips open at low velocities and do a lot of damage. H4895 can be used in reduced loadings with good accuracy. You can step any of these calibers up to factory pressures when your daughter grows into it.

Dan

None of the 6mms.

I have been down this road twice before. When my daughter was 10, I bought her a Rem Model 7 in .260. FOr practice she shot 85 gr Sierra HPs over some 4759 for about 2100 fps. No recoil whatsoever. For deer hunting, I switched her to a 120 Ballistic Tip over 32.0 gr H4895 for 2400 fps. It was an enjoyable rifle to shoot and killed like lightning. Now that she is 22 years old (but still 105lbs soaking wet), I have changed to load to 38.0 varget with the same 120 BT for a bit over 2600 fps. still mild and quite accurate.

My niece got a Rem Model 700 youth in 7mm-08 when she was 11. We loaded it with 35.0 gr H4895 under a 140 Ballistic tip. Her first weekend hunting with that rig yielded three 1 shot kills out to a bit over 150 yards. It is also a very mild load.

In a short action, I would look at the .260, 7-08 and 6.5 Creedmoor. With a 20" barrel. Ballistic tips open at low velocities and do a lot of damage. H4895 can be used in reduced loadings with good accuracy. You can step any of these calibers up to factory pressures when your daughter grows into it.

Dan

1+ on everything Dan said.

I would recommend the 6mm Rem. It will feed very well without modifying the action or magazine. The 6mm/284 will not (I have both). If the rifle is used under 500 yards the deer won't notice the differences between those mentioned , but your daughter will notice less recoil and much less muzzle blast with the 6mm Rem. Ammunition will also cost less (factory or reloads).

Lots of deer have fallen to 243 and other 6mm versions....so if that is your intended game, then it is more than sufficient.

As mentioned by earlier poster, the focus should be on proper twist rate of the barrel for the predominant planned use of the rifle.

I really like the 6x284 and of the three choices listed, it would be the one I chose.

I would build a 6.5x47 for your daughter, that is what I have built for mine she is 13 and loves it.

Her rifle is a 26 inch 1 in 8 Krieger on a Howa short action, and I used a Boyds stock and a heck of a lot of closed cell foam and duct tape to make it fit her.

I would build a 6.5x47 for your daughter, that is what I have built for mine she is 13 and loves it.

Her rifle is a 26 inch 1 in 8 Krieger on a Howa short action, and I used a Boyds stock and a heck of a lot of closed cell foam and duct tape to make it fit her.
You know... . Just because I'm a country boy who's done the unimaginable thousands of times with hunnerd mile an hour tape and bailing wire.... .

I WANNA SEE PICTURES! gun)

Did you write off .243 and 6.5 creedmoore?
How did you come to those calibers? Out of the ones you listed 6x284 would be my choice based on the performance we've seen with 6.5x284.
Can you explain this a little more, are you saying you haven't had good luck with your 6.5x284?

As for the topic, my son has had very good luck with his 243 out to 300yds so far.

Savage Action in 243
Barrel 24" Criterion Sporter with 1:7 twist
Call Kevin Rayhill and get him to make you a stock that she can grow into and one of his recoil lugs
Talley Lightweight Mounts

This barrel will handle anything from the 85 grain bullets up to 115 grains. It can be loaded light now and turned into a long range killer down the road with the 115vld's. You can do all the work yourself and she can even help you some of it.

of the 6mm my first choice the 6X47, but of the ones you mentioned the 6mm rem for the reason bullfrog mentioned the 6mm rem will feed much better tha the 6X 284

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.