Build thread for PHPD1295

I don't know if it will apply to you or not but Lorenzo also gives a discount on labor to police officers and military. I am in law enforcement so I don't know if it applies to honorably discharged military or only active duty but if it does apply to you ask him.

Nice! I started my 15th year in law enforcement in September. I have always been a hunter, but one of my assignments is where I truly learned to love LR shooting. Hopefully I will get time to give him a call tomorrow.

On a side note my huskemaw is scheduled for delivery tomorrow afternoon!!

I might be a little biased because Lorenzo did such a great job on my rifle but I don't think you will find a better custom rifle builder at any price. I priced several different builders when I was ready to get my rifle built and they all were within a few hundred dollars in price. Lorenzo's price was in the middle of the road of all the ones I got quotes from. For me the deciding factor was ease of contact and customer service. Lorenzo was very easy to contact by phone and email. I even got some emails from him as late as 11:00 at night. His lead time was also one of the shortest. I don't know what it is now but back then he was quoting a 12 week build time and he came in maybe a week after that. I think that's a great estimation considering he might have had to wait for parts and suppliers. Other builders were in the range of 6 months or longer!
If you do decide to get the work done be sure to start a thread and post before and after pictures.:)

I very much enjoyed watching Lorenzo build you rifle. He seems pretty relaxed in his vocation which is a rare thing. I honestly couldn't tell you if his techniques and processes are better or worse than any other smith but I was very impressed with what I saw. After talking to some other local smiths who were a little evasive about services such as trueing raceways or even blueprinting an action, Lorenzo quite happily answered all my questions to my satisfaction. He asked me about other options I might be interested in but wasn't pushy at all. His lead times seem reasonable so I sent him my rifle.

I just found this thread. Where have I been? :rolleyes:

Yep! Lorenzo does exceptional work and is a super nice guy to boot!!

He re-barreled my 270 AM and installed a new trigger. She shoots super to 1177 yds and will be shooting @ 1247 yds tomorrow.

Gettin' her ready for a woof hunt next week.

Crazyhorse,
Have you been able to call Lorenzo? I noticed his website is down for some reason. I hope he is doing well. Let us know if he is doing well and if he is going to do your rifle work.
Bill.

I didnt want to call and bother him over the new years holiday so I sent him an email a couple days ago. I havent heard anything back yet, if there is nothing in the morning I will call him when i get up tomorrow afternoon (I'm currently working the midnight shift).

Probably should have called by now and reserved my place in line, but for some reason I have this image in my mind that his phone rings non-stop while trying to enjoy a holiday with family. This image is completed by questions like "I want to build one of those 88 magnums to shoot a 900gr bullet 3500fps, can you do that in a mountain rifle?" Lol!

Im definately going to do something this week. My wife bought me a Huskemaw for Christmas (God bless her!), but Im afraid my barrel is near the end of its life. Im dying to get my info to send off for the turret but scared im going to get to the good part and have to start all over. If the time to rebuild isnt too long, I would like to gather the data on a new barrel that I can shoot for awhile.

Besides the barrel Im shooting now, while very accurate, copper fouls like nobody's business! You would think while cleaning it that there wasnt any more room to get a bullet outta there!

Second animal down with Grizzly. So far I haven't been able to do any serious long range shooting due to there not being any long range ranges down here. I went on a hunt this weekend and I hit a Javelina at 230 yards. I was returning to camp and it was on one of the senderos by a feeder. The Javelina was about 30 pounds and it looked small at that range. The rifle functioned perfectly and the shot went right where it was supposed to.

I finally was able to find a range that has targets out to 1,000 yards. The other ones in my area are 50 yard indoor and outdoor ranges that only went out to 200. I was able to work out to 400 yards and Lorenzo I have something to show you. The rifle you built for me just does not miss! At 400 yards I was able to shoot a 2" group! The first three shots were 4" low based on guestimating the comeup on the scope. I adjusted 4 clicks up and these were the next three shots. Dead on in elevation and a 2" horizontal spread. The wind was left to right 8 mph coming in at 10 o'clock. I did notice that at three hundred the group was worse for some reason. It was more spread out and the elevation tended to go up and down a few inches. It appears that the rifle is dead on at 100 and two hundred yards, opens up at three hundred yards and settles back down at 400 yards. I've heard some other shooters and gunsmiths talking about having the bullet "go to sleep" or something like that. Is that what's going on here? It's possible I might have not been as focused at 300 since it's "so close" and I concentrated more at 400. Have you ever noticed a rifle shooting better at longer ranges than at mid-ranges?

Attachments

• 400 yard group.jpg
    400 yard group.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 108
I finally was able to find a range that has targets out to 1,000 yards. The other ones in my area are 50 yard indoor and outdoor ranges that only went out to 200. I was able to work out to 400 yards and Lorenzo I have something to show you. The rifle you built for me just does not miss! At 400 yards I was able to shoot a 2" group! The first three shots were 4" low based on guestimating the comeup on the scope. I adjusted 4 clicks up and these were the next three shots. Dead on in elevation and a 2" horizontal spread. The wind was left to right 8 mph coming in at 10 o'clock. I did notice that at three hundred the group was worse for some reason. It was more spread out and the elevation tended to go up and down a few inches. It appears that the rifle is dead on at 100 and two hundred yards, opens up at three hundred yards and settles back down at 400 yards. I've heard some other shooters and gunsmiths talking about having the bullet "go to sleep" or something like that. Is that what's going on here? It's possible I might have not been as focused at 300 since it's "so close" and I concentrated more at 400. Have you ever noticed a rifle shooting better at longer ranges than at mid-ranges?
With that kind of stringing my bet is that it's not the rifle or ammo but something being a bit off in your mechanics like perhaps pushing just a bit in anticipation of the recoil or having just a bit too much finger on the trigger causing a bit of torsion.

With that kind of stringing my bet is that it's not the rifle or ammo but something being a bit off in your mechanics like perhaps pushing just a bit in anticipation of the recoil or having just a bit too much finger on the trigger causing a bit of torsion.

I hadn't thought about that. I really don't think I have a problem with recoil that I've ever noticed but then again I've never shot out far enough to see a problem. When you say "pushing just a bit in anticipation of the recoil" do you mean that I am pushing my shoulder forwards towards the rifle just before the shot? I wasn't thinking about it while shooting and each time the rifle went off it was unexpectedly (Lorenzo did a great job on the trigger).

I am shooting left handed and my point of aim was right on the black line going diagonal across the steel. I hit right where I was aiming and the other two were to the right. other than making sure I was squeezing the trigger and not jerking it I didn't pay attention to how I put my finger on the trigger.

I've been shooting for over 30 years but I have never taken a shooting class. I am a good instinctive shot and I can out shoot any of my friends with their rifles. other than breath control, making sure my eye is in the same place behind the scope every time (now I know that is called cheek weld), and squeezing the trigger I don't have "mechanics".

This site has been a wealth of information and everyone has been willing to help out with everything. Your input and the input of others have saved me from making a lot of errors you all may have made in the past and helped saved days and hundreds of rounds of setting up my scope, my cheek rest, and other minor details that make a difference.

At this range we are on an elevated platform with very solid benches. I am not shooting prone. On the bench I am using a bi-pod and sandbags for rifle support. The rear bag is not ideal and I have to stack two of them on top of each other to get the elevation I need on the back of the rifle. I am guessing getting a larger bag would be my first step to stabilize the rear of the rifle better. Without sounding too stupid what are the "mechanics of a perfect shot" and what recommendations can you or anyone else on this site give me?

I hadn't thought about that. I really don't think I have a problem with recoil that I've ever noticed but then again I've never shot out far enough to see a problem. When you say "pushing just a bit in anticipation of the recoil" do you mean that I am pushing my shoulder forwards towards the rifle just before the shot? I wasn't thinking about it while shooting and each time the rifle went off it was unexpectedly (Lorenzo did a great job on the trigger).
Yes that's what I mean. It's really not "flinching' it's just something a lot of people do without thinking.

I am shooting left handed and my point of aim was right on the black line going diagonal across the steel. I hit right where I was aiming and the other two were to the right. other than making sure I was squeezing the trigger and not jerking it I didn't pay attention to how I put my finger on the trigger.
Try this. See if you can bend your finger at a 90 and draw the pad of the last joint straight to the crotch of your thumb/hand joint. See if it's coming straight back or if it's angling to one side.

If it's not coming straight back this may be your problem. For some reason I've also seen a lot of shooters in the last decade or so using more than just the last pad, but in fact sticking that all the way through to the second pad of their trigger finger. Doing that can easily cause you to torque it a bit.

If you are using just the last pd try sliding your palm back just a bit farther than you normally do and draw, not squeeze but draw it back ever so slowly.

Do a bit of practicing with a snap cap and see if any of the above helps you stay steadier on your POA, but make sure the POA is at 300yds or more on a small target.

These little tweaks don't really show up much at closer ranges.

I've been shooting for over 30 years but I have never taken a shooting class. I am a good instinctive shot and I can out shoot any of my friends with their rifles. other than breath control, making sure my eye is in the same place behind the scope every time (now I know that is called cheek weld), and squeezing the trigger I don't have "mechanics".
We all have mechanics, it is how you physically mount and drive the rifle, and those mechanics really make a difference when you start stretching out the ranges.

This site has been a wealth of information and everyone has been willing to help out with everything. Your input and the input of others have saved me from making a lot of errors you all may have made in the past and helped saved days and hundreds of rounds of setting up my scope, my cheek rest, and other minor details that make a difference.
No matter how experienced we are, we can all improve with a little help.

At this range we are on an elevated platform with very solid benches. I am not shooting prone. On the bench I am using a bi-pod and sandbags for rifle support. The rear bag is not ideal and I have to stack two of them on top of each other to get the elevation I need on the back of the rifle. I am guessing getting a larger bag would be my first step to stabilize the rear of the rifle better. Without sounding too stupid what are the "mechanics of a perfect shot" and what recommendations can you or anyone else on this site give me?
As I said above it's all about how you are physically "mated" so to speak to the rifle. Shooting from the bench with the bipod you might want to consider using a rear monopod in stead of bags. They are pretty darn handy.

What I generally do is curl my off arm (right in your case) around under the rifle and use my curled up fist as a rear bag. Just flexing/relaxing it a bit gives you a very stable rear support with pinpoint elevation changes. Even if I use a rear bag I'll use both to make the minute changes necessary.

One problem we experienced shooters run into is that we may have been doing something just a bit off for decades, but since we usually hit what we're shooting at we don't notice those errors especially if we are shooting alone.

I had a good friend stay with me helping me train dogs for a few months a couple of years ago. Dave was already a hell of a shot but I picked on a few of his mechanical errors a bit here and there (break time usually included at least 20 rounds at 600-870yds HA) and his already very good shooting came up a few notches by the time he left.

He'd never shot anything at greater than 400yds before he started hanging around with me and for that next year or so after he left I was frequently getting calls "Hey you won't believe what I just did" killing coyotes and deer at ranges he would have never thought possible just a year prior.

I have some nerve damage which affects both of my hands to varying degrees and one of the results is that I often get shaky on my right hand/fingers. The little trick I mentioned above about just sliding your hand back a bit farther than you are used to is something I picked up from a friend myself. Made a big difference.

Good luck.

I joined a range down here this past year that has monthly NRA sanctioned matches out to 600 yards. I shoot in the FTR class with "Grizzly" and after shooting in 5 matches I am holding my own. These guys have been shooting competitively for decades and they are all using specialized gear and rifles designed for f-class shooting so I don't feel bad coming in last place all the time. My score has climbed from 421 out of 450 to 436 out of 450 using my hunting rifle, a $49.00 black hawk bi-pod from academy, and a $15.00 Caldwell rear bag. When I feel bad about coming in last I remind myself that I don"t have a $300 Sinclair front bi-pod or a monopod or custom leather rear bag and I feel better. Here is a pic of the target I shot this past weekend at 600 yards. I shot .9 MOA in a misting rain with changing winds and only dropped 4 points with 5 X's. The winner shot a perfect 150 with 9X with a custom F-class rifle with all the bells and whistles.

Attachments

• nov 600yrd target.jpg
    nov 600yrd target.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 106
I have been making steady improvement since my last post in November of last year. I am not coming in last anymore in our matches. I am getting a little better and finally shooting almost as good as Grizzly is capable of. I upgraded the trigger from a tuned factory trigger to a Timney that is set at 2 pounds so I can still use it as a hunting rifle. In this last match the winner and I tied with a 590 out of 600 but she won with two more X's than I had. She had 25X and I had 23X. This is a pic of my best relay. I shot a 199 out of 200. The only shot out of the X or 10 ring was a shot I pulled. Good thing it happened on the 17 shot not the 20th shot or I would have been crying.

Attachments

• ryan nov 2017.JPG
    ryan nov 2017.JPG
    290.3 KB · Views: 112
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.