Buddies new rem 700 issues

Caution! If you or even a smith does anything to the rifle Remington probably will void your warrantee. Send it back to them no matter what the hassle is.
I beg to differ. Remington might void your warranty, but if the issue is bad enough, I'd consider it a donor, and build a custom out of it, regardless of whether Remington wants to fix it free or not. That could take up to 6 months to get your rifle back. Might as well just let the gunsmith have at it and get back a better rifle, and quicker.

And end up with the same problem with a savage. I bought two long range hunters in 7mm mag. One for my dad and one for me. Mine shoots 3/4 MOA pretty consistently. His shoots 8" groups with a consistent 4 shot pattern. Exactly what mudrunner said... donor gun, got a bartlein on order.

I agree, regardless of manufacturer.
Yes. I had this exact same issue last year with my 700LR in 300wm. Contrary to what some online reports suggest,my experience with Remington customer service was beyond excellent.

I called them and told them what the problem was, and they emailed me a return order number and URL. I accessed it online, scheduled a pickup with UPS, printed the shipping form, boxed it up and met the driver at my front door on the day I scheduled the pickup. That all took about 1 business day. A week and a half later I had my rifle back and it was silky smooth. Cost to me- ZERO dollars and less than 2 weeks without my rifle.

Yes. I had this exact same issue last year with my 700LR in 300wm. Contrary to what some online reports suggest,my experience with Remington customer service was beyond excellent.

I called them and told them what the problem was, and they emailed me a return order number and URL. I accessed it online, scheduled a pickup with UPS, printed the shipping form, boxed it up and met the driver at my front door on the day I scheduled the pickup. That all took about 1 business day. A week and a half later I had my rifle back and it was silky smooth. Cost to me- ZERO dollars and less than 2 weeks without my rifle.

That's how it should be, cheers!

To the OP:
Your buddy is going to have to make his own decision about what he needs or wants to do with the rifle.
Even though it may not apply to this situation, this is what I went through:
When I was going through my dilemma with my 300 WM LR, there were some people telling me to send it back. Let Remington fix their mistake. Don't take it to a gunsmith, you'll void your warranty...

The SINGULAR thought that kept crossing my mind at the time, is "Do I REALLY want the knuckleheads who created this steaming pile, the SAME people who allowed it out their door to be sold to me, to work on it some more?

I mean really?
What?
How does that even scan?

Then there was the logic of preserving a "warranty" from a company that turns out such ****, that everyone seems to know someone who got burned?

I got news for ya. When I get bent over and prison raped by a company like that, the LAST thing I'm worried about is "preserving my warranty", and the FIRST thing I'm worried about is not standing in line for it all over again!!

I USED to have the utmost respect for Remington. The FACT is, it's just not the same company it was.

I never would have believed it either, until I got burned first hand. I bought that rifle with CONFIDENCE and TRUST. Didn't even inspect it that close!
I think that is what hurts the worse.

You can bet that has changed now!
I have COMPLETELY inspected EVERY rifle, and walked away when it hasn't met my scrutiny, but not before telling the sales person what exactly is wrong with it.
In the end, I ended up happy with what I got in a custom rifle out of it, but as you can tell from this post, it still stings a bit.

Since then, I have bought 3 Savage rifles, a 110 FCP HS 338 Lapua, a 110 FCP SR 308 win, and a 110 30-06 Springfield. I really enjoy the DIY aspect of these rifles!
I have also bought 2 Christensen Arms rifles, a BA Tactical 338 Lapua, and a Ridgeline 300 Win Mag.
So... really... it cost them more than it cost me.

Inspect your brass very carefully. Look for lines and blemishes that don't appear before firing.
Look at the case mouth and see if it's shiny after trying to chamber it. You can usually see chamber issues this way.

I'm guessing it is the primary extraction. A change in the bolt handle will probably fix it. Have a good smith check it. Some of their actions have very little primary ejection. If this is the case send it back.

Steve

Last edited:
Steve, do you mean 'primary extraction'?

To the OP, have yourself or your buddy look very closely at the bolt face, use a bright light and some magnification, or take several micro photographs.
Look for brass wipes on the boltface, brass chips or shavings in, on and around the extractor and ejector and also look for burrs in the ejector hole. Depress the ejector with your thumb or fingernail, it should be firm to depress, but not excessively. If it is very stiff to depress, it will need soaking or disassembly to remove the gunk.

If you can, get a 'smith to bore scope the chamber, it may just be a rough finished chamber that requires polishing, this happened to me with a Kimber 8400 Super America in 300WM, some chips must have gotten stuck while the chamber was cut, a few grooves and dents were left behind leaving marks on fired cases and had some extraction issues. I spun her up and polished out 99% of them, there is still a faint mark, but it doesn't hamper anything any more.

Cheers.
:)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.