New Rem 700

jcvibby

Non-Profit Sponsor
I bought a new Rem 700 SPS varmint in .243 that I have not shot yet. I have heard some things that I should do before I shoot it to make it the most accurate rifle it can be. I have heard shooting special bullets, lapping?, and a few other things. What would you recommend I do so I can have a production rifle that shoots great. I understand the rifle will probably shoot better than I and I can use all the practice I can get. Those are given. Just wondering how to accurize the new rifle. Thanks for the expert advice.

jc,
The first thing I would do is adjust the trigger down to 3lbs or below. If you can't do that then have a gunsmith do it. You could always buy an aftermarket trigger (Timey, Jewell, SharpShooters) and install it. They're usually pretty simple and come with instructions.
Then, when I was putting the barreled/action back in the stock, I would ensure it is seating properly and make sure the bedding is good. If not, get it bedded or get a different stock. I'm not familiar with the SPS stock, but I'm thinking it's the cheapo plastic tupperware type.
Get the best glass you can afford. I usually try to put as much in the scope as I do the rifle. I'm not always able right away and suffer till I can get what I want. Get sturdy, well made rings/mounts. Not necessary to get the "Tactical Nuclear Holocaust MilSpec proof" but something name brand that has been around a while (Leupold, Weaver, Burris).
Next, if you're not a reloader, I would consider starting. If you plan on doing alot of shooting, it makes it affordable. The more you shoot the more you'll reload. The more you reload the more you'll shoot. You will become intimately proficient with your rifle and find out what it can and can't do.
Look up info on breaking-in a barrel. Some follow it religiously and some say it's hoopla. I won't take sides, but do believe that some factory barrels are better than others and require more attention/cleaning than others. There's no set number of shot's but some rifles don't reach their accuracy potential until after quiet a few. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.