Buddies new rem 700 issues

I had the same thing happen with a .300wm rem 700 LR a couple of years ago and spoke to a lot of folks on here about it. I had a smith cast the chamber, measure headspace, & I even polished the chamber. The problem wouldn't go away. Every piece of fired brass from that rifle had a shiny spot just above the belt on one side. It even had a measurable bulge.

So then I decided to rebarrel it. That's when my smith found the cause of the problem. When the threads in the receiver were cut to accept the barrel, they weren't cut square to the receiver itself. I wound up having to scrap the receiver and the barrel.

The smith did try to salvage the receiver by cleaning up the threads but by the time he got it back square there wasn't enough thread left to safely engage the threads on the barrel and it wouldn't get tight. So basically the bolt face and the chamber weren't completely aligned and that caused the sticking cases.

It was an expensive lesson to learn but now I have an even better rifle so that's cool I guess

I had the same thing happen with a .300wm rem 700 LR a couple of years ago and spoke to a lot of folks on here about it. I had a smith cast the chamber, measure headspace, & I even polished the chamber. The problem wouldn't go away. Every piece of fired brass from that rifle had a shiny spot just above the belt on one side. It even had a measurable bulge.

So then I decided to rebarrel it. That's when my smith found the cause of the problem. When the threads in the receiver were cut to accept the barrel, they weren't cut square to the receiver itself. I wound up having to scrap the receiver and the barrel.

The smith did try to salvage the receiver by cleaning up the threads but by the time he got it back square there wasn't enough thread left to safely engage the threads on the barrel and it wouldn't get tight. So basically the bolt face and the chamber weren't completely aligned and that caused the sticking cases.

It was an expensive lesson to learn but now I have an even better rifle so that's cool I guess

YIKE$!

That sucks, my first thought is this why it should be sent back to warranty...but would they find something like that before sending it back?

I don't think you can find that problem until you spin the old barrel off and try to screw a new one on.

During my quest to solve this problem I found lots of folks on the web that had similar issues. One guy even had a video on YouTube showing the sticky bolt and the shiny spot on the brass.

I've always been a huge Remington fan but somethings wrong over there... it's a bummer for sure

Buying a new Remington is a crap shoot. Mostly crap, very little shoot.
This is painful to say, or feel, as I've got green blood in my veins, but recently, I got a transfusion, and now have Savage blood, in my veins.
I'm recovering, but had lots of great Remingtons over the years. Those days are gone.
What a shame.
Sorry to hear some of these horror stories.

Last edited:
I don't think you can find that problem until you spin the old barrel off and try to screw a new one on.

During my quest to solve this problem I found lots of folks on the web that had similar issues. One guy even had a video on YouTube showing the sticky bolt and the shiny spot on the brass.

I've always been a huge Remington fan but somethings wrong over there... it's a bummer for sure
All you were left with was the excellent xmark pro trigger:rolleyes:
And a stock...ouch

Last edited:
Steve, do you mean 'primary extraction'?

To the OP, have yourself or your buddy look very closely at the bolt face, use a bright light and some magnification, or take several micro photographs.
Look for brass wipes on the boltface, brass chips or shavings in, on and around the extractor and ejector and also look for burrs in the ejector hole. Depress the ejector with your thumb or fingernail, it should be firm to depress, but not excessively. If it is very stiff to depress, it will need soaking or disassembly to remove the gunk.

If you can, get a 'smith to bore scope the chamber, it may just be a rough finished chamber that requires polishing, this happened to me with a Kimber 8400 Super America in 300WM, some chips must have gotten stuck while the chamber was cut, a few grooves and dents were left behind leaving marks on fired cases and had some extraction issues. I spun her up and polished out 99% of them, there is still a faint mark, but it doesn't hamper anything any more.

Cheers.
:)
Yes sir. Thank you I changed it. Ejection extraction... potato potaato. :D:oops:

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts