Remington 700 Feeding Issues

BignGreen:

I just bent the spring to put more pressure on the front end of the round. I hate to say it but nothing changed. I OVER exaggerated the bend and it still didnt change the feed issue.

Any thoughts?

I had to tweak it a fair bit to get the pressure up enough on the front to keep the follower from collapsing down but other than that I haven't had to fix that issue any other way. So I'm tapped out!

I just returned from the shop fixing the same issue on a rifle I'm changing over form 7 mag to 338 RUM, DO NOT bend your rails, that's fine for center feed but you'll screw up your action on a stagger feed. Your follower is to wussy on the front so it collapses, take your spring and open it up bending it so it puts more pressure on the front of the follower. Give that a try, just went from your issue to three round burst minutes ago!

No dont bend the rails
I mean the lips on the mag box that bend inward

I have read this thread and I do not believe the solution will be the same as it was for me with the exact same issue I had on two brand new Rem. 700. I believe with the changes you have made you would have discovered this , but none the less on both new rifles the spring was not properly seated in the floor plate and the follower. It drove me crazy on the first rifle and the second time I experienced this I knew exactly what was going on.
Good luck!

Gotcha Mike...

I kept messing with it all evening and eventually was able to get it to feed correctly (except for the last round).
  • 1 in the pipe
  • 3 in the mag
The first three cycle good (if cycled SLOWLY - if done normal speed it still jams) - then the last round in the mag jams the same as usual.

I had previously thought about switching this HS stock out for a Manners T5A and new bottom metal...

If I can't get this resolved that might be the way I end up going.

The Remington 700 Sendero (300RUM) that I am running is having feeding issues. It has been doing this since day one. I thought maybe the spring in the mag just needed broken in but its been 1 year and its still having the same issue.

First shell (positioned to the left side of the magazine)
View attachment 13093

Feeds perfect - as do all that are positioned on the left
View attachment 13094

Second shell (positioned on the right side of the magazine)
View attachment 13092

Second shell and the bolt face in relation (prior to pushing the bolt forward)
View attachment 13095

As the bolt is pushed forward on the second shell
View attachment 13096

The back of the shell gets pushed down and the front of the shell kicks up - causing the shell to jam.
View attachment 13097

This only happens to shells that are aligned on the "right side" of the mag.
Regular factory bottom metal is being used.
OAL of this shell is 3.585

Any advice or knowledge on this issue??

THANKS!

I realize this is an older post, but I experienced exactly the same issue right down to the photographs with the original post. I went nuts trying to figure out what was causing the bolt overriding the cartridges after the first cartridge chambered correctly. It turned out that the solution was very simple. Operator error. I was not pulling the bolt back fully each time without realizing it. When I corrected the extraction stroke and fully retracted the bolt, all of my feeds were proper. The problem, was that the bolt never seated behind the cartridge before the forward stroke. It rested just as seen in the photo of the second cartridge being overridden by the bolt. At least that was my solution. I thought passing this along might help someone else. BTW, I am ex military and have been shooting since I was 10 years old. Not lack of experience, but lack of attention to detail.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.