Bolt throw problems. Advice?

there is definitely something to the added torque of a long bolt handle. I took the tactical knob of last night and aside from smashing my fingers, it didn't hardly chatter at all. There just isn't much to hold onto.

I am also looking at 3 lug actions for the future. I grew up on 700's, but The win 70 and sako actions have a full length lug that keeps the bolt supported through the entire stroke, smooth like butta. It looks like the tikka has more support through the entire stroke as well.

Savage is great until you break the safety or firing pin or bolt handle or bolt head retaining pin and render the thing useless.

Get some 600 and 1200grit lapping compound, use a brush or q tip to run it along the raceway and bolt contacts and work the snot out of it (600gr first). When it starts to loosen up enough clean it out and finish it with the 1200,

Buy some machinegunner's lube and lightly put a drop or two on each side periodically and your problem should be solved. After application, work the bolt a few times and wipe off the excess. It won't attract dirt, never dries and is a very good protectant. It's a specially formulated moly based lubricant specifically developed to keep hot guns running in horrible conditions and works great on both bolt and semi auto guns.

there is definitely something to the added torque of a long bolt handle. I took the tactical knob of last night and aside from smashing my fingers, it didn't hardly chatter at all. There just isn't much to hold onto.

I am also looking at 3 lug actions for the future. I grew up on 700's, but The win 70 and sako actions have a full length lug that keeps the bolt supported through the entire stroke, smooth like butta. It looks like the tikka has more support through the entire stroke as well.

Savage is great until you break the safety or firing pin or bolt handle or bolt head retaining pin and render the thing useless.
Yaw rather than torque is the likely problem causing the contact points of the bolt to bind against the raceway. The looser the bolt is at the back of the cycle the higher the likelihood it will bind.

I'm looking for a boat anchor, so how much ya want for it?

This is not exactly a boat; although it weighs about eleven pounds. The action is in great shape. It has fired so many 3 shot 3/8" 100 yard groups I can't even remember. The Parkerized barrel and action usually puts three shot under an inch with its .375-.416 barrel. Often under 3/4". It has what my son-in-law calls "the butt ugly recoil reduction system." It has a brake on the 27 1/2" barrel and a 1/2" gap before the fairly new thick decelerator recoil pad on the other end. In that 1/2" gap are three rods. The two on the top and bottom are guide rods for the adjustable shock absorber to absorb the initial powder/bullet acceleration. It works so well I can fire a couple boxes of full throttle loads at one session with nary a bruise. I hold it like a "BB". The bases have been on it for decades. It does not function so well if one pulls it in tight like most do. It has the original leather sling from 1977 when I bought it. The trigger is not up to my present standard despite this rifle was the one I used for decades; before I got old and it got heavy. I think for a shooter rifle $800 plus shipping is a good price.

Here are some photos to show it the dings and the recoil reduction system.

20170804_134649.jpg
20170804_134737.jpg
20170804_134719.jpg
20170804_135112.jpg

20170804_134924.jpg

That's a piece of history, not a boat anchor. I'd suggest getting a trigger job and giving it to someone in the family or close friend who can appreciate where it's been and what it's done.

WildRose,
Actually the stamp on the barrel is .375-8 Rem Mag. But lots of people are not familiar with that cartridge. I used to fire form brass by firing .375 H&H. They lost about 100 feet per second doing that.
Sadly none in my family will be getting my stuff if I can sell it before I croak. My daughters are not into hunting or shooting and don't even know what I have. Their sons aren't also. My youngest grandson is thirty now. They might even sell the stuff for drugs. My grand daughters are city folk. Both married jerks so I wouldn't want them to have something nice when they don't even hunt. Don't mean to cry on your shoulder.

WildRose,
Actually the stamp on the barrel is .375-8 Rem Mag. But lots of people are not familiar with that cartridge. I used to fire form brass by firing .375 H&H. They lost about 100 feet per second doing that.
Sadly none in my family will be getting my stuff if I can sell it before I croak. My daughters are not into hunting or shooting and don't even know what I have. Their sons aren't also. My youngest grandson is thirty now. They might even sell the stuff for drugs. My grand daughters are city folk. Both married jerks so I wouldn't want them to have something nice when they don't even hunt. Don't mean to cry on your shoulder.
Too bad. I'd set it back and rechamber it to .375 Ruger and shoot it till death did me part.

I have four friends who each get one of my guns when I die, the rest of the collection goes to my best friend and adopted little brother and his kids so I understand where you're coming from.

The .375 Ruger is absolutely a blast to shoot and hits like a freight train.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.