Tracking problems

Arkansasboy

Just rechecked my 200 yd zero before a longer range session. Found it about .8" low (group was .75" or .38 moa) so dialed up 2 clicks and put it in the case. Drove to my farm and set up at 535. Dialed in 8.6 moa and hit way high. Minus 2 clicks way high, minus two more still high, minus 2 more still high. Went for a 40 minute hike with 50# in the pack and carrying the rifle (Montana bound). Reverified 200 again now at plus 2.5". Went down 5 clicks. Shot a 2 shot that was 1" low and 1.25" left. What? Plus two clicks up puts it back on center line but now 1/2" high. Had previously observed 5% over travel on tall target test and had suspected windage jump with elevation dial. Anybody seen this?

What scope, rings, mount and rifle are you using? I've Had similar things happen. Once it was the mount had come loose, once it was the scope.

64850AA7-EB6C-4225-A131-D4308B954044.jpeg

What scope, rings, mount and rifle are you using? I've Had similar things happen. Once it was the mount had come loose, once it was the scope.
VX5HD 3.5x15
Rem 700 7mm RM
DNZ mounts torqued down
B&C Alaskan II with proper free floating
Timney at 2#
Tall target definitely was plus 5% (obviously this is way more).
Torque is ok

well that's your problem. Leupold is notorious for having tracking problems. Yes, any minute now all the supporters are going to pop up out of the bush and tell us all about how their lupys are the best thing since sliced bread, but its the truth. Not every lupy scope, but a lot more then there should be have problems with their internals. Talk to leupold and see what they can do. Their customer service is on point.
Your other problem is I don't know what to do with all your information on how the scope being off with a 200 yard zero. Atmospherics externally as well as internally and changes in your DA and wind conditions can definitely through a zero off, and kill any dope you have at 200. a 100y zero if effected a lot less.

First, make certain the rings and mount are tight. I have solved tracking problems by adjusting the elevation turret as far as possible down, then up; return to original setting and try again. Do same with windage knobs. If this does not work, return it to the manufacturer.

like others have said, just recheck everything to make sure it's all snug. if it all definitely is, I'd say you have a bad optic. I had the same issue very recently and my scope had issues while I was in a prs match. it was so frustrating.

I had one leupold that stopped tracking. Tech said twist elevation and windage lock to lock at least six times to redistribute the grease around the erector. While it worked, I lost faith and sold the scope.

I suppose you could try doing it.

Can you put that scope on a reliable rifle and do some testing?

Leupold is notorious for having tracking problems.
While it worked, I lost faith and sold the scope.

I really am sorry to reiterate these comments but it has been true in my personal experiences and the same with other shooters I know and trust.

Sell this scope and buy a new scope with a reputation for consistent, repeatable adjustments. I will not go on a hunt without having a scope I can adjust and have faith in.

My old friend down the road said you should always tap the side of scope on every adjustment. I️ suppose he is right on this and the previous VX3 that was on this same rifle. This one is going back to Leupold for service. Unfortunately this apparently just cost me $1299 for an SHV.

Get the Zeiss v6 3-18x50 call red hawk rifles. Smoking deal, ask about the demos!

That's what I do but then I wasn't brought up in the age of scope dialing you set it and leave it, if game was out of range you would put on a stalk to get with in range or set up to ambush when it got with in range.
I think they called it hunting. :)>)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.