Tracking problems

So were we. My dad would roll over in his grave at the thought of touching a scope. Outfitter told us to prep for up to 600 so we are trying a new sport. Trust me when get back to the Ozarks it will be left alone.

I think the advise to dump the Leupold and get the Zeiss pronto is very sound.

You have a lot of time and money tied up right now and Fing with a scope is not what you need at the moment.

I would get the Zeiss on the way, send the Leupold in to have it fixed and then sell it later. The Leupold will probably be just fine after repair, so wouldn't feel like.I was cheating someone if I sold it to them.

I'm a Leupold fan. And I've had one that wouldn't track correctly even after sending it back to them to get fixed. Leupold will tell you a 3% tracking error is within spec (even though that's pretty terrible performance). Mine seemed more like 5% off, but they called it "good". I've also had about 6-7 more of their scopes that track quite well (VX3's, VX6's and a Mark 4).

Good luck.

I'm trying a 4-24 VX-6 right now and have dialed it quite a bit, hopefully it holds up. I had 5 Zeiss scopes and had tracking issues with all of them that I dialed with, that's why I'm a Nightforce guy now. I put the Leupold on a gun that I pack and wanted to keep the weight down so I thought I would try it.

This one is a cds so naturally you would assume it would track. Has anyone seen what appears to be a sideways or windage jump when adjusting elevation?

Tell me about the Zeiss vs SHV 5-20x56 illum moa
The Zeiss v6 and i think the new v4s as well have been designed by ex nightforce guy named Kyle brown. He's supposed to know his stuff and why everyone is excited about these scopes. Haven't heard of any tracking problems yet. Glass is really good.

I'm trying a 4-24 VX-6 right now and have dialed it quite a bit, hopefully it holds up. I had 5 Zeiss scopes and had tracking issues with all of them that I dialed with, that's why I'm a Nightforce guy now. I put the Leupold on a gun that I pack and wanted to keep the weight down so I thought I would try it.
All four of mine have been holding up just fine. The newest of them is 3 years old.

Not if it's mounted correctly and held level when shooting.
Canting could certainly do that although it would have to be significant at 200 yards.
I️ am asking if it is technically possible for the erector to stick or jump in such a way to induce an unwanted change in windage when making an elevation adjustment. This particular scope certainly seems to have sticky spots that will clear up in two to three shots. One of the points of a tall target test is to see if tracking is actually vertical. Does anyone specifically know?

My old friend down the road said you should always tap the side of scope on every adjustment. I️ suppose he is right on this and the previous VX3 that was on this same rifle. This one is going back to Leupold for service. Unfortunately this apparently just cost me $1299 for an SHV.
I have seen the practice of "tapping" the side of the scope. This is no different than hitting a TV to make it run. All things being equal, stick to the variables that can be measured. I think you will be very satisfied with the SHV; "No tapping required"!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts