Shooting problems, need advice

Wild rose, I do have 22lrs and 223 ar that I've shot many times but usually at groundhogs and have no problems. I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm not new to guns just heavier recoil and the longer distances is what I'm struggling with. Although the recoil of this particular does not seem bad to me, nor does it bruise or make me sore, now I have a Ithaca 12 ga slug gun with no recoil pad that ain't fit to shoot, that baby leaves a mark:D

It does have the barrel support at end of forearm. What are your guys thoughts on trigger weight. It varys from 4 to 5 1/2 lbs pull. Sometimes when I shoot I'm starting to squeeze and it seems like it's taking forever so I have to start over , other times not so bad, but it seem like it take my concentration off the target

a timney will help and they are easy to install. a bdl is light rifle how do you come up with 9 or 1o pounds?

My advice is gonna contradict probably everyone else's (no offense anyone, all sound advice. However, I don't think he has the experience and knowledge to make most of the corrections given). You need an experienced shooter to coach you. If you are practicing incorrectly then you are creating bad habits. Where are you from? Maybe someone on here can actually meet with you and give you pointers. Reading instruction and actual application are two different things.

My advice is gonna contradict probably everyone else's (no offense anyone, all sound advice. However, I don't think he has the experience and knowledge to make most of the corrections given). You need an experienced shooter to coach you. If you are practicing incorrectly then you are creating bad habits. Where are you from? Maybe someone on here can actually meet with you and give you pointers. Reading instruction and actual application are two different things.

+1

Steve

Read this, it might help.
Hold that forend
I had similar issues shooting my 6.5lb 6.5SAUM with a bipod.
I no longer use the crossed arm method but hold the forend securely.
Worked for me

This is good advice.

This is the only way to shoot a sporter weight heavy recoiling rifle. Your groups will tighten up a lot. I shoot this way also. Everyone wants to shoot like the tatcicool guys on Youtube. Issue is they are mostly shooting heavier rifles in lower recoiling cartridges like the 6.5s.

Ok , I have an update. set up some 9in plates the other day to try some of the advice on here. started at first way I have been shooting 200yds with left hand on bag. 5 shot group didn't even hit the plate. first for that, day before it did. group was 2in under plate in roughly 4in group. adjusted elevation up and got close to center of plate, then went 1 more click up and poi went up 2.5in so 1 click back down , poi went back down around 2.5 in. the groups were still around 4in. after that I held front of rifle and it tighten my group up to around 2.5in. and target was still in scope after shots.
Decided that after close to couple hundred rounds with no confidence building at all I put my bushnell trophy xlt off my muzzle loader on it, after 20 rounds or so had it sighted in pretty good. made some adjustments on my form [ lightened up on bipod pressure to very light with firm shoulder pressure and holding front of rifle] my last 5 shot group was 4 out of 5 in a 2in group at 200yds. Was very happy with that, now I have to see if I can repeat that. appears the scope has an issue, now remember I said appears, after I switched scopes the groups were so much more consistent and tighter.
On another note it seemed like too much bipod load and a tight grip and tight shoulder pressure gave me vertical stringing, would that make sense?

I would not do a tight grip with either hand. If the stock is factory plastic, your pressure can change our POI and mess your groups up. Light forward pressure on bipod, just enough to feel some flex. Keep practicing.

Ok , I have an update. set up some 9in plates the other day to try some of the advice on here. started at first way I have been shooting 200yds with left hand on bag. 5 shot group didn't even hit the plate. first for that, day before it did. group was 2in under plate in roughly 4in group. adjusted elevation up and got close to center of plate, then went 1 more click up and poi went up 2.5in so 1 click back down , poi went back down around 2.5 in. the groups were still around 4in. after that I held front of rifle and it tighten my group up to around 2.5in. and target was still in scope after shots.
Decided that after close to couple hundred rounds with no confidence building at all I put my bushnell trophy xlt off my muzzle loader on it, after 20 rounds or so had it sighted in pretty good. made some adjustments on my form [ lightened up on bipod pressure to very light with firm shoulder pressure and holding front of rifle] my last 5 shot group was 4 out of 5 in a 2in group at 200yds. Was very happy with that, now I have to see if I can repeat that. appears the scope has an issue, now remember I said appears, after I switched scopes the groups were so much more consistent and tighter.
On another note it seemed like too much bipod load and a tight grip and tight shoulder pressure gave me vertical stringing, would that make sense?
Nothing like a busted scope to raise your blood pressure and drive you completely nuts.

It sounds to me like perhaps you are getting too much flex in the stock when really leaning into it with the vertical stringing.

You probably need to seriously consider upgrading to a better stock or at least stiffening this one up which is really fairly simple to do.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.