Bolt Doesn’t Close When Loading a Cartridge

pedwards

I have a Weatherby Carbonmark rifle and when I went to load a round the bolt doesn't slide far enough forward for it to close. The gun is brand new. I had the action blue printed. I'm using factory ammo. Weatherby says they fire every rifle before shipping. They are recommending that I send it in to them to look at, but before I do, I wanted to see if anyone on here has any ideas. Thanks!

I would check the ammo your
Loading with a gauge for shoulder bump/ head space.
See if the gun will load a fired cartridge if all then it's the Ammo. If it does then it's the barrel and has to go back them unless your
Gonna pay a smith out of pocket
assuming you had them blueprint the action ect.. then I'm sure they fired it
Sending to wby is gonna take forever to get back.
I had to do this with a nosler that was very hard to chamber rounds with and still waiting.
If you don't have a fired price of brass I can help depending on the round
I have fired 6.5-300 and 300 wby I can send you a piece if you need
Good luck!

Thank you for your reply. I don't have any fired brass and my rifle is chambered in 300 Weatherby. Thank you for the offer to send me brass. I'll let you know if I need it.

@btapp1991 beat me to it, I'd do the same, check all ammo dimensions, headspace, case oal, and oal to lands. I'm guessing it's Weatherby factory ammo, is the whole box doing the same thing?

I don't know THAT action ... so maybe a dumb suggestion on my part ... but is it possible that rifle is a 'controlled round feed' type of action, akin to a K98k Mauser and you're trying to load the chamber without the extraction rim of the case being fully under/behind the extractor on the bolt?

Try seating a round all the way back in the magazine and see if that works, i.e., closing the bolt slowly, bolt picking up the round and making sure that the case head bears fully up against the bolt face at the bolt closes.

I don't know THAT action ... so maybe a dumb suggestion on my part ... but is it possible that rifle is a 'controlled round feed' type of action, akin to a K98k Mauser and you're trying to load the chamber without the extraction rim of the case being fully under/behind the extractor on the bolt?

Try seating a round all the way back in the magazine and see if that works, i.e., closing the bolt slowly, bolt picking up the round and making sure that the case head bears fully up against the bolt face at the bolt closes.
It's worth a try. I wasn't made aware that the Mark V action is any different than a traditional bolt rifle, but anything is possible. I'll see if this makes any difference. Thank you!

Definitely something fishy, two different boxes of factory ammo not feeding. If it is ejection port loadable, the only thing I can think of is improper headspace when the barrel was installed.
I'm no expert, but from what I can tell it looks like the belt on the brass is catching where the barrel meets the action. Doesn't look like there's enough space to get the belt through.

I have a Weatherby Carbonmark rifle and when I went to load a round the bolt doesn't slide far enough forward for it to close. The gun is brand new. I had the action blue printed. I'm using factory ammo. Weatherby says they fire every rifle before shipping. They are recommending that I send it in to them to look at, but before I do, I wanted to see if anyone on here has any ideas. Thanks!
You don't say if the gunsmith fired the rifle. Weatherby did, and you can't. Seems to me the GS has the responsibility. Wby will not warranty the rifle after modification. I'm in the wrong headspace camp.

Maybe

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220330-140119_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220330-140119_Gallery.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 200
You don't say if the gunsmith fired the rifle. Weatherby did, and you can't. Seems to me the GS has the responsibility. Wby will not warranty the rifle after modification. I'm in the wrong headspace camp.
Thanks for your reply. Weatherby did the blue printing. It's an option if you order through their custom shop. I haven't had a gunsmith work on the rifle, due to your point of voiding the warranty. I have no idea how they fired it. From what I can tell it doesn't look like it's able to be fired.