Why won’t my bolt close?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by rick523, Aug 14, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. MNbogboy

MNbogboy Well-Known Member

Referring to annealing...with no annealing the force applied to the neck sizing may be distorting the other case dimensions.
    On the other hand over annealing the shoulder area may allow for distortion also.
    Just another thought.

2. LDHunter

LDHunter Well-Known Member

I guess I'll have to start FL sizing now that people tell me the neck sizing I've been doing for over 20 years simply won't work. Dang... And I thought all that great accuracy and simply using the Lee Collet die was great and all the time it saved was wonderful but now I've been edjemekated.... Heck I've even used neck sized only brass in my AR-15 with no problems... Boy was I stoopid... Isn't the internet wonderful?

3. Todd Gansel

Todd Gansel Member

The other side of the coin are you measuring the COL from the ogive or tip to base? I find that using these high BC bullets the ogive really varies and you are pushing into the lans.

4. winsx3

winsx3 Member

This may or may not help but I ran into this same problem once before. It turned out that the front action screw protruded just enough into the bolt lug recess that when the bolt was closed on a cartridge it wouldn't close the whole way. When the bolt was closed on a empty chamber you would never know there was a problem. All I did was just grind off .030" of the bolt and problem solved.

sedancowboy and MNbogboy like this.
  5. rick523

rick523 Well-Known Member

From ogive.

6. Pete Callamaras

Pete Callamaras Well-Known Member

I use a neck sizing die, and I have used the Lee Collet die, both do a good job. I also use and RCBS Precision Mic to check and set my headspace, and since I started doing the I have had no bolt closure problems.

7. Nomad8961

Nomad8961 Well-Known Member

Remmy700 likes this.