Hard bolt closing

PEEWEE69

Never had this problem factory remington 700 Lss in 270 brand new never fired till me using Hornaday Superformance 130 GMX the bolt is hard to close and sometimes hard to open like an over pressure round and scattering shots no consistency

Attachments

• 20161217_174627.jpg
    20161217_174627.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 20161217_174848.jpg
    20161217_174848.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 67
Sounds like you need to have the headspace checked. Sounds like the chamber could have been bored a couple thousandths too short. Probably just needs a quick chamber cleanup. Most factory-cut chambers are far from perfect. You could always go ahead an have the chamber cleaned up (bored) with a .270 Ackley Improved reamer instead of a regular .270 Win. Better chance of getting a good shooting chamber if you clean it up with an AI reamer, as it removed as much of the factory chamber as possible to allow you to cut a true, straight, and properly-spec'd chamber. Probably won't cost you any extra to have done, but you gain some velocity from the added capacity.

Your brass looks to tell the story. Something is wrong with the chambering. Warranty work is in order, or a new tube, depending where you are at with it.

69, a hunting friend had the same short chamber with his 700 25-06. Sent it back and received a new barreled rifle. We had loaded manual spec length rounds and they were like yours, hard to close the bolt. Tried factory ammo and same result. Way short. Good luck
By the way, my family originated near Cuero and Victoria, Tx. a couple hundred years ago.

Sounds like the throat on your rifle is short and you're jamming the bullets into the lands. GMX are all copper and don't respond well to being jammed into the lands in my experience. Pressures skyrocket on otherwise safe loads. If you try some other ammo I'm betting you might see a change but you still need to send it back and have em' fix your throat.

Thanks Remington has been emailed about the issue waiting on reply from them
If they don't resolve the issue I think I'll just rebarrel it

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.