Why won’t my bolt close?

I'm going to throw a wrench in the gears here. First off I agree that FL sizing is the way to go. Now back to the original poster's problem. Do you have an actual neck sizing die or is it a FL sizing die that you just backed out. If its the latter you are NOT neck sizing, you are partially sizing. If you just sit back and think how a die works, it is machined to bring the brass back to SAAMI dimensions. You can ONLY do that by running the case as far into the die as possible. Just backing off a FL sizing die partially sizes the case body, doesn't touch the shoulder, and partially sized the case neck.

Yes I know you need to F L after 2-3 firings, which I do. Guess I must be the only one neck sizing these days. Thanks
No you're not. I neck size my 6mm Remington and 25-06 brass all the time. When you go to the range next time, re-chamber each casing after firing. If any won't re-chamber, back your load off about 0.5 grains and try again. Do this again if some of the brass still won't chamber. If all the brass will re-chamber after its been fired, it was too much pressure. If all the brass re-chambers after its been fired, its a bullet seating depth problem or primers that aren't seated completely.

Ok so we can sum all these pages up of experienced reloaders saying simply one thing, BUMP the ShOulder back or at least run F/L sizer over it if body has expanded to large. This is a simple and common problem yet we have a consensus of 8 pages saying the same Rule 4 lol. And for any of u that don't know Rule 4 means it's a bad word and is below LRH standards!

Im shooting a Bergara B14 HMR in the dreaded 6.5 C M. Load is 143 ELDx, 41.5 gr. H4350 CCI BR2 primers, Hornady cases. Seated .015 off the lands. Here's the problem if I neck size a fire formed case the bolt will not close on about half of the rounds. I neck size everything except 223 and have never ran into this. Any ideas, suggestions. Don't really want to FL size if I can keep from it. Thanks!
It's the brass problem so try to find high quality brass and always FL resize
Im shooting a Bergara B14 HMR in the dreaded 6.5 C M. Load is 143 ELDx, 41.5 gr. H4350 CCI BR2 primers, Hornady cases. Seated .015 off the lands. Here's the problem if I neck size a fire formed case the bolt will not close on about half of the rounds. I neck size everything except 223 and have never ran into this. Any ideas, suggestions. Don't really want to FL size if I can keep from it. Thanks!
Brass problem get your self Lapua brass and you should be ok

I'm going to throw a wrench in the gears here. First off I agree that FL sizing is the way to go. Now back to the original poster's problem. Do you have an actual neck sizing die or is it a FL sizing die that you just backed out. If its the latter you are NOT neck sizing, you are partially sizing. If you just sit back and think how a die works, it is machined to bring the brass back to SAAMI dimensions. You can ONLY do that by running the case as far into the die as possible. Just backing off a FL sizing die partially sizes the case body, doesn't touch the shoulder, and partially sized the case neck.
I am using a Redding neck sizing die!

Everybody has advice and most all of it is typically good. I have been loading for over 40 years (still a newbie compared to some folks) sounds like 50% of your loads are different than the others. LOL consistency and simplicity is my two cents worth to you.

Do you have a true n smooth bolt face?
I need work done on my 700 7mm Remington Magnum bolt face - it's rough, and not a smooth bolt lift with factory rounds.

Regular neck dies, be they bushing or one piece are bad about doing just what you have described, because there is nothing that aligns the case prior to its neck being sized. There is one exception, the Lee collet die. Those dies work entirely differently, and I think that if you try one, you will find that your results are much better. There is a learning curve. You need to read the instructions, and take the die apart so that you can see how it works. Don't run a set die without a case, and remember that you change neck tension by changing to mandrels that have different diameters.

Like I said, go and fire some of your loads on the range. Then immediately check all your fired brass at the range and see if it will re-chamber. If it will, you have a problem with your die set or your bullet depth. If the brass won't re-chamber, you are probably over the max chamber pressure for your particular rifle, and need to back down on your loads. If its the die, follow jd5521's advice and get the Lee collet die for your cartridge. It does what he says and supports the body of the case, alligning the neck before sizing.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.