Why won’t my bolt close?

rick523

Im shooting a Bergara B14 HMR in the dreaded 6.5 C M. Load is 143 ELDx, 41.5 gr. H4350 CCI BR2 primers, Hornady cases. Seated .015 off the lands. Here’s the problem if I neck size a fire formed case the bolt will not close on about half of the rounds. I neck size everything except 223 and have never ran into this. Any ideas, suggestions. Don’t really want to FL size if I can keep from it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 436

lancetkenyon

Why not FL size? I FL size every time, bumping shoulders back .0015-.002". Accuracy is phenomenal with a good load.

By the looks of your charge weight, you are running a pretty hot load. My guess is shoulder and body need to be resized and bumped back. No reason not to, and apparently, every reason you need to if the bolt won't close on a neck sized and loaded round.

Last edited:

Remmy700

LRH Team Member
At some point brother you are going to have to full size it and bump the shoulder there is really no way around it. 90% of the reloaders I know that just neck sized have since switched to FL bushing dies. It seems the entire just neck sizing thing is something from the past.

rick523

Why not FL size? I FL size every time, bumping shoulders back .0015-.002". Accuracy is phenomenal with a good load.

By the looks of your charge weight, you are running a pretty hot load. My guess is shoulder amd body need to be resized and bumped back. No reason not to, and apparently, every reason you need to if the bolt won't close.on a neck sized and loaded round.
Load isn’t really that hot. It was doing this on light loads also.

rick523

At some point brother you are going to have to full size it and bump the shoulder there is really no way around it. 90% of the reloaders I know that just neck sized have since switched to FL bushing dies. It seems the entire just neck sizing thing is something from the past.
Yes I know you need to F L after 2-3 firings, which I do. Guess I must be the only one neck sizing these days. Thanks

Joefrazell

Yeah your just going to have to bump the shoulder back a .002. Could be just a brass thing. Who knows. Honestly probably not worth loosing any sleep over. Just bump them every time and you'll be set

coop2564

Just asking for this type trouble not FL sizing. One other possibility if compressed load bullet may of pushed back out a little and jamming lands.

Wolf76

Sounds like you need to push the shoulder back or anneal the necks.
I use the forester bushing bump neck die and find it super useful.

rick523

Just asking for this type trouble not FL sizing. One other possibility if compressed load bullet may of pushed back out a little and jamming lands.
Not asking for trouble, since I’ve never had this issue with any of the other 5 calibers I load. Just looking for a reason, since I’m not doing anything different than usual. Load is not compressed. Well I guess I am doing something different now. Full length sizing every time!

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce