Why won’t my bolt close?

rick523

Im shooting a Bergara B14 HMR in the dreaded 6.5 C M. Load is 143 ELDx, 41.5 gr. H4350 CCI BR2 primers, Hornady cases. Seated .015 off the lands. Here's the problem if I neck size a fire formed case the bolt will not close on about half of the rounds. I neck size everything except 223 and have never ran into this. Any ideas, suggestions. Don't really want to FL size if I can keep from it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Why not FL size? I FL size every time, bumping shoulders back .0015-.002". Accuracy is phenomenal with a good load.

By the looks of your charge weight, you are running a pretty hot load. My guess is shoulder and body need to be resized and bumped back. No reason not to, and apparently, every reason you need to if the bolt won't close on a neck sized and loaded round.

Last edited:
Why not FL size? I FL size every time, bumping shoulders back .0015-.002". Accuracy is phenomenal with a good load.

By the looks of your charge weight, you are running a pretty hot load. My guess is shoulder amd body need to be resized and bumped back. No reason not to, and apparently, every reason you need to if the bolt won't close.on a neck sized and loaded round.
Load isn't really that hot. It was doing this on light loads also.

At some point brother you are going to have to full size it and bump the shoulder there is really no way around it. 90% of the reloaders I know that just neck sized have since switched to FL bushing dies. It seems the entire just neck sizing thing is something from the past.
Yes I know you need to F L after 2-3 firings, which I do. Guess I must be the only one neck sizing these days. Thanks

Yeah your just going to have to bump the shoulder back a .002. Could be just a brass thing. Who knows. Honestly probably not worth loosing any sleep over. Just bump them every time and you'll be set

Just asking for this type trouble not FL sizing. One other possibility if compressed load bullet may of pushed back out a little and jamming lands.

Just asking for this type trouble not FL sizing. One other possibility if compressed load bullet may of pushed back out a little and jamming lands.
Not asking for trouble, since I've never had this issue with any of the other 5 calibers I load. Just looking for a reason, since I'm not doing anything different than usual. Load is not compressed. Well I guess I am doing something different now. Full length sizing every time!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.