Why won’t my bolt close?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by rick523, Aug 14, 2019 at 12:38 PM.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. DUSTY NOGGIN

DUSTY NOGGIN Well-Known Member

the creedmore is known for its oversized EGO .. i bet its getting caught from having too big of head .. i bet if you belittle it .. tell it its just a short action non magnum .. it might just fall right into place :D

but on to the stuff that matters , id smoke your brass try to chamber and see where it making contact .. youll know what needs done

JimmyCP, Tommo64 and Cinchy like this.
  2. YZ-80

YZ-80 Well-Known Member

I drank the FL sizing/Redding bushing die cool-aid 3 years ago and my reloading life has never been better!

3. rick523

rick523 Well-Known Member

I may have to get in the cool aid line for this particular rifle

SCSCHNUR and Huggy like this.
  4. rick523

rick523 Well-Known Member

Now that sounds like a plan!

SCSCHNUR likes this.
  5. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

If your not FL sizing correctly after every firing your leaving potential on the table!! All neck sizing does is make every firing different from the next which is not the best.

6. Remmy700

Remmy700 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

That is correct. There will never be anything more accurate than properly setup FL die when all brass is truly fire-formed with correct shoulder bump on every case. Now that is consistent!!

SCSCHNUR, Kent kacir and jasonco like this.
  7. YZ-80

YZ-80 Well-Known Member

Yeah, give it a try. I was always hung up on neck sizing because for some reason my Cooper rifles tolerated it well, but I got over it when I started to buy better quality brass (Lapua & Norma) and watched a few of Sam’s videos on YouTube. I don’t anneal or anything like that and I’m still getting about 12 cycles on a piece of brass even though I may be “working it hard” by FL resizing. There was no perceptible difference in accuracy either. I once read that neck sizing can be hard on the action too (bolt- lug recesses) but I don’t know if this is true.

SCSCHNUR likes this.
  8. Darktimber

Darktimber Well-Known Member

Lol Its certainly hard on bolt handles when you snap them off trying to pry your action out of battery like ive seen 2 people do and heard of several others.

SCSCHNUR, Huggy and YZ-80 like this.
  9. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

A bit long but Sam did an awesome job with this video ...

Tommo64, Kent kacir, ThrdKllr and 3 others like this.
  10. Toolhand

Toolhand Well-Known Member

sounds like u need to get a case gauge and bump the shoulder back .002-.003

11. Sam Summey

Sam Summey Member

I'd invest in a "bump die", set the shoulder back .001, seems to work for my bench rest friends. Now if we can just get them to learn to shoot with a sling off the dirt, they may turn out to be riflemen.

Weaselthis, 26Reload and lancetkenyon like this.
  12. RetiredSniper

RetiredSniper Well-Known Member

I agree with all that responded! F L size and then check O.A.L. Trim if nesessary and then load the shell. Do one and if it works that was your problem!

13. Farmerbrown32

Farmerbrown32 Well-Known Member

You need to FL size. Plain and simple.

14. barred48

barred48 New Member

This is the holy grail as far as I'm concerned when it comes to what to do with brass. https://www.greenhomefair.com/lyman-300-wsm-case-length-headspace-gauge/ i know this isn't the right caliber gage but it is the tool of choice. if the brass doesn't seat in one of these or sticks out past the end you have to take corrective action or the rounds won't chamber properly. I full length size even new brass.

Tommo64 and WYO300RUM like this.