Why won’t my bolt close?

Im shooting a Bergara B14 HMR in the dreaded 6.5 C M. Load is 143 ELDx, 41.5 gr. H4350 CCI BR2 primers, Hornady cases. Seated .015 off the lands. Here's the problem if I neck size a fire formed case the bolt will not close on about half of the rounds. I neck size everything except 223 and have never ran into this. Any ideas, suggestions. Don't really want to FL size if I can keep from it. Thanks!
If you are not using a neck die that makes no contact with the body you are likely inadvertently partially sizing body which will increase case head to datum. you can check by measuring an as fired piece of brass with the primer removed vs one of your sized cases .

I would suspect that when you neck size you are bumping the shoulder into the case back forming a ring below the shoulder. Set up die again.... call die manufacture for support and tell them the press you are running. Shoot another round, remove fired case, and place back in chamber. This will verify it's not the gun, load. I've done it.

I'm a long time neck sizer myself in many calibers, generally with the Lee collet neck sizing dies. I'm curious if you guys feel that an effective and consistent shoulder bump can be achieved using my existing traditional Lee, RCBS, or Hornady FL dies? Sure, I could buy new "bump dies" all around, but would prefer not to. :) Thoughts?

the creedmore is known for its oversized EGO .. i bet its getting caught from having too big of head .. i bet if you belittle it .. tell it its just a short action non magnum .. it might just fall right into place :D

but on to the stuff that matters , id smoke your brass try to chamber and see where it making contact .. youll know what needs done
Unload one of your cartridges that won't close FL size it reload it and see if the bolt will close and if it does close then I think you need to bump the shoulder back another 1000th

Full length sizing will solve the problem, from what you describe it sounds like you have run out in the chamber and unless you place the round in the chamber in the correct orientation you can't close the bolt

B
Unload one of your cartridges that won't close FL size it reload it and see if the bolt will close and if it does close then I think you need to bump the shoulder back another 1000th
It I am new so I might not know what I'm talking about

Im shooting a Bergara B14 HMR in the dreaded 6.5 C M. Load is 143 ELDx, 41.5 gr. H4350 CCI BR2 primers, Hornady cases. Seated .015 off the lands. Here's the problem if I neck size a fire formed case the bolt will not close on about half of the rounds. I neck size everything except 223 and have never ran into this. Any ideas, suggestions. Don't really want to FL size if I can keep from it. Thanks!
Hornady aren't known for quality brass. Try getting some Norma, Peterson, RWS, or SAKO / LAPUA brass.
Nevertheless, you will have to resort to full length sizing once for your existing Hornady brass.
People who say you should full length size every time, aren't necessarily correct, as my 300 Win Mag did about six reloads before full length sizing.. I anneal every time too.
PERHAPS YOUR CASES AREN'T TRIMMED ENOUGH?

I've ran into this before with my 7mm Rem. The problem was isolated to the neck expander in the full length sizing die. The issue was solved by putting a VERY SMALL AMOUNT of case lube on the inside of the case neck.
Just my $0.02...

Perhaps the chamber is not round. Try turning one that fits 90 degrees and yrt it again. Same with one ytha doesn't fit. That will tell you if it is or not.

How can you use both fire formed and full length resize in the same sentence? It's no longer fire formed if you FL resize it, I don't care how you look at it. FL resize takes it back to SAAMI Spec, or very close to it. It will be MUCH more consistent when fire formed, neck sized and shoulder bumped - also, your brass will last much longer due to less working.
We are talking about the same thing here. You need truly fireformed cases to set up your FL die correctly and get correct shoulder bump. You can bump once fired brass back a .0015 if you want but what are you bumping it back from? I want my brass back close to SAAMI specs with exception to my base to shoulder number. That is what I want to ensure is only getting push back .0015 from actual real world chamber size so I am working my brass minimally. There are other options for getting this real world number also but I prefer my brass not to chamber such as OP situation and then get my measurement and slowly adjust the die to my liking on bolt close firmness. There are a bunch of ways to do it. We are talking about the same thing though and my method is right, wrong or indifferent but its my way and it works for me.

I'm a long time neck sizer myself in many calibers, generally with the Lee collet neck sizing dies. I'm curious if you guys feel that an effective and consistent shoulder bump can be achieved using my existing traditional Lee, RCBS, or Hornady FL dies? Sure, I could buy new "bump dies" all around, but would prefer not to. :) Thoughts?
I would not spend the money having 1 or any of those dies. It is a die setup process and only bump back what is needed. Extends the life of brass. Spend $ on consintrisity gauge to check for run out.on bullet and neck.

The collet sizing die is a good choice. The problem is that at some point you'll need to bump the shoulder back. That's why the the bushing bump neck die from Forster is perfect imo. I never need to FL size because the shoulder gets pushed back .002 and neck tension is set by whichever bushing size I use. If cases start to chamber hard, they need to be annealed.

I use Match Bushing dies and have not experienced that problem. My case is resized to "once-fired" dimensions, headspace .001-.002 under SAMMI Spec, and and the neck properly sized by the bushing. I check case length and trim if necessary, but I have had very little brass creep. I also use a Lyman Ammo checker, and if fits in there, it fits my rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.