Best rest when developing a load?

so everyones just going to pretend all rifles should shoot well from a bipod?
BTW "Field Position" does not mean bipod for everyone, I shoot from a pack when hunting most of the time.

Tikkamike, I fully agree with you!

Not only we don't know how the rifle will react,
but does the shooter have any experience shooting
from bipods and specially with sporting light rifles?

I remember the first time I shot my sporting 300 rum
From bipod, it was a no small disapointment.

Folks like Jeff, he knows his rifles and can shoot
mighty tight groups from the bipod then I do not object to
to that. I found out I can group my 338 Edge equally
Well from bench and bipod so I would work a load from
either position; other wise.... I do what you're saying.

Interesting point of view.

When I test for a rifles accuracy I use the most consistant method available at the distance
required ( 100 to 1000 Yards) depending the intended use.

This minimizes the human factor.(No two people will shoot the same) and once this accuracy
is determined it's up to the shooter to do his part.

There is no smith in the world that guarantees that the shooter can shoot 1/2 MOA, The rifle will
but not everyone can shoot 1/2 moa.

Most sportsman will admit that there custom rifle will out shoot them and that it gives them
confidence knowing that, And if they do there part it will be a good shot.

There are so many things that will effect the accuracy of a rifle and establishing a benchmark
for the rifle tells you when something has effected it.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
Which to me makes perfect sense.

However once you know the rifle's capability and you are trying to find the ideal load for said rifle under field conditions, it needs to be shot under the same conditions as much as possible as it will be when you are in the field.

Let's say all of your shooting is going to be done off of a bipod, or a pack or some other under forearm rest.

Well if your rifle shoots differently from a bipod than it does from another means such as strapped to some sort of sled, your best precision load will not be precise in the field.

The human is part of the equation in the field and thus the human factor must I think be included when developing a load for the field.

Sorry but you theory is way off. Accurate is accurate!! Remove all variables possible. Remember using a variable as a constant in shooting will get you beat in the field or on the line.
No the theory is 100% correct. I'm not talking about shooting match rifles in matches.

I'm talking about hunting under field conditions. The human IS part of the equation and if you ignore that factor you will not have the same results in the field that you had when developing the load.

Last edited:
Ok if you say so..... My rifles do so what does that do to your theory? I will admit that it does make a difference on who builds the rifle.
It makes a huge difference who built the rifle, what components went into it, what stock it's in, how it's floated.

The human is not a varible in the field, it is a constant. You cannot shoot the rifle in a hunting situation without the human being attached to it.

Then why a Bipod supporting the rifle in your pic???

If you take a moment and read the entire thread you will see I said not all rifles will shoot from a bipod, also that my 338 shoots awesome from a bipod. I'm not a bipod hater...I use one sometimes... but I hate when people try and prove a point when they don't have all of their info.

It makes a huge difference who built the rifle, what components went into it, what stock it's in, how it's floated.

The human is not a varible in the field, it is a constant. You cannot shoot the rifle in a hunting situation without the human being attached to it.
I think your having a hard time grasping what he is saying.

Well that was a egg shoot not a IBS match. This was where you show up with what you have lay on the ground on a mat or whatever. Sorry but that table is stable----won wood off of it more than once lol.

Keep shooting, learn the proper technique and you may be able to hit something someday LOL.

Those pics were from Tac Pro west of Fort Worth---just for fun.

I shoot perfectly fine so I dont need your sarcasm at all.

If you take a moment and read the entire thread you will see I said not all rifles will shoot from a bipod, also that my 338 shoots awesome from a bipod. I'm not a bipod hater...I use one sometimes... but I hate when people try and prove a point when they don't have all of their info.

The only difference between shooting from a bipod that supports the rifles forearm..and shooting off a sandbag that supports it identically..is whats between your ears... Support..is support. Rested over a rock..or rested over a tree limb..or resting on sandbags...but it wont shoot when on a bipod. Yeah...right!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.