Bolt bounce and Scope shift when dry firing

ShtrRdy

And I do believe that it is affecting accuracy. IMO, there's got to be a mechanical reason for it.
There is a mechanical reason for it. But if you don't see it happen with a fired case chambered then this particular behavior is not likely a problem.

What sort of accuracy problem are you having?

CWM-RHG

Previously Chuck Moles
The gun shoots 3/8"groups all day long. the groups are always a horizontal line. the groups are pretty consistent from the middle then left of center.

jrock

Tubbs makes a spring assembly that takes the bolt jump away.

MLN1963

The bolt bounce is likely from the firing pin coil spring unwinding. As mentioned above, Tubb sells a dual wound spring to minimize that.

Shadowwalker

Your scope shouldn't be shifting. If its shifting under dry fire its definitely gonna shift with recoil when you do fire it.
Some scopes take 2 or 3 shots to "settle in" after adjusting.
If this is truly the case, I'd be getting me another scope real fast......

jrock

That was my first impression after reading the same statement

416Taylor

there are several mechanical reasons for bolt bounce. In no particular order they are:
1- firing spring (as previously mentioned) Several good options there.
2- most likely a bolt diameter issue. Keep in mind that when the bolt is placed in battery, there is upward spring pressure from the trigger sear. Any slop or tolerance is pushed up to the rear bridge of the action. upon firing the bolt is allowed to drop down causing the bolt handle to bounce. I generally see when there is several thousands or more of tolerance. i generally go for tight fitting bolts and I don’t see this issue.
3- as mentioned you could have a bolt timing issue. If the cocking piece is contacting the cocking ramp on its final journey forward it could cause the bolt to bounce. This is generally something that is way out of whack but can happen.
I may have missed something but I believe there are the big ones. overall, you have a good shooting rifle so it may be a thing to live with??

Flatbow

Your scope shouldn't be shifting. If its shifting under dry fire its definitely gonna shift with recoil when you do fire it.
Some scopes take 2 or 3 shots to "settle in" after adjusting.
I have never heard that a scope could take a shot or two to "settle in".
This is good info to have, thanks

jdyoung

LRH Team Member
there are several mechanical reasons for bolt bounce. In no particular order they are:
1- firing spring (as previously mentioned) Several good options there.
2- most likely a bolt diameter issue. Keep in mind that when the bolt is placed in battery, there is upward spring pressure from the trigger sear. Any slop or tolerance is pushed up to the rear bridge of the action. upon firing the bolt is allowed to drop down causing the bolt handle to bounce. I generally see when there is several thousands or more of tolerance. i generally go for tight fitting bolts and I don’t see this issue.
3- as mentioned you could have a bolt timing issue. If the cocking piece is contacting the cocking ramp on its final journey forward it could cause the bolt to bounce. This is generally something that is way out of whack but can happen.
I may have missed something but I believe there are the big ones. overall, you have a good shooting rifle so it may be a thing to live with??
3- as mentioned you could have a bolt timing issue. If the cocking piece is contacting the cocking ramp on its final journey forward it could cause the bolt to bounce.

When the bolt is rotated into battery, there is a milled flat/rest that is to contact the right side of the receiver rails. If that flat is too deep, the bolt rotates too far when in battery. This causes a misalignment between the sides of the sear on the cocking piece allowing it to rub/contact the straight side of the bolt cocking ramp when fired . The bolt then jumps into alignment with the cocking piece. Moreover , the rubbing robs some of the power of the striker spring slowin' the striker.
If your heart is beatin' like a rabbit, you want that striker to have all the speed it possesses so you can properly time the primer strike between beats.

Litrfoot

You might check your trigger. Make sure it is not touching the sides or front of the bottom metal! If it is you need to relieve the metal around it.

Magnett

Can anyone help me out here? Getting used to the trigger on my gun. Its a Rem 700 thats been blueprinted, PTG bolt installed and lugs lapped, with a Proof steel barrel. Trigger Tech trigger set at 1# 3oz. Bolt bounces every time I dry fire it and scope POI shifts left 1/4" every time at 100 yds. Any ideas on what's the cause and how to eliminate this? Any help would be appreciated.

Trending threads

Recent Posts

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce