Dry Firing

Bear

What is your opinion of dry firing as a method of practice? I am only talking about center fire rifles, not rimfires or double barrel shotguns?

I think it is great for practicing "follow-through". Concentrating on follow-through can also keep your mind occupied so as to counteract flinching.

It is also good to know your trigger. The less supported the position you use, the more vital this is to a good shot.

My answer has more to do with competition shooting with sand bags, but can be used on the bench during sighting in or serious LR/ULR shooting from a bench or from a bipod also.

Whenever I setup my rests on the bench, pound in the bags, lube them etc, after I settle the rifle into position I always dry fire (in a 100% free recoil hold on the rifle!!) the first couple of rounds. Here's why: If your bags aren't settled when you dry fire (after "insert bolts" and "commence fire" is called obviously), if your crosshairs jump up or left/right at all then you need to pound in your bags some more or you will get up and down in your sighters until they are settled. Also by dry firing the first couple that means everyone else has already shot their first couple of sighters and are making scope adjustments, so I'm clear to fire without doubling with the shooter next to me which can and will cause problems also.

This works if your shooting off from a bipod also. If the bipod is under sress somehow and you dry fire... you would be suprised at how far your crosshairs will jump when the bipod "unloads" from the vibration of dry firing. Then if your talking about position shooting like high power in the off-hand, there no question it is great practice.

So my thoughts are this: it is great practice not only for your shooting position, breathing/squeezing like we've all been taught, but watch for the after effect and which direction your crosshairs move to. It will tell you a lot about your position, rifle hold, and rest setup.

Hope this helps,
Steve

12 belows zero a foot of snow on the ground. I just got done squeesing about 50 round of with my 300 mag. All dry fireing great way to learn your trigger and work on position.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.