Bolt bounce and Scope shift when dry firing

And I do believe that it is affecting accuracy. IMO, there's got to be a mechanical reason for it.
There is a mechanical reason for it. But if you don't see it happen with a fired case chambered then this particular behavior is not likely a problem.

What sort of accuracy problem are you having?

The gun shoots 3/8"groups all day long. the groups are always a horizontal line. the groups are pretty consistent from the middle then left of center.

The bolt bounce is likely from the firing pin coil spring unwinding. As mentioned above, Tubb sells a dual wound spring to minimize that.

Your scope shouldn't be shifting. If its shifting under dry fire its definitely gonna shift with recoil when you do fire it.
Some scopes take 2 or 3 shots to "settle in" after adjusting.
If this is truly the case, I'd be getting me another scope real fast......

there are several mechanical reasons for bolt bounce. In no particular order they are:
1- firing spring (as previously mentioned) Several good options there.
2- most likely a bolt diameter issue. Keep in mind that when the bolt is placed in battery, there is upward spring pressure from the trigger sear. Any slop or tolerance is pushed up to the rear bridge of the action. upon firing the bolt is allowed to drop down causing the bolt handle to bounce. I generally see when there is several thousands or more of tolerance. i generally go for tight fitting bolts and I don't see this issue.
3- as mentioned you could have a bolt timing issue. If the cocking piece is contacting the cocking ramp on its final journey forward it could cause the bolt to bounce. This is generally something that is way out of whack but can happen.
I may have missed something but I believe there are the big ones. overall, you have a good shooting rifle so it may be a thing to live with??

Your scope shouldn't be shifting. If its shifting under dry fire its definitely gonna shift with recoil when you do fire it.
Some scopes take 2 or 3 shots to "settle in" after adjusting.

I have never heard that a scope could take a shot or two to "settle in".
This is good info to have, thanks

there are several mechanical reasons for bolt bounce. In no particular order they are:
1- firing spring (as previously mentioned) Several good options there.
2- most likely a bolt diameter issue. Keep in mind that when the bolt is placed in battery, there is upward spring pressure from the trigger sear. Any slop or tolerance is pushed up to the rear bridge of the action. upon firing the bolt is allowed to drop down causing the bolt handle to bounce. I generally see when there is several thousands or more of tolerance. i generally go for tight fitting bolts and I don't see this issue.
3- as mentioned you could have a bolt timing issue. If the cocking piece is contacting the cocking ramp on its final journey forward it could cause the bolt to bounce. This is generally something that is way out of whack but can happen.
I may have missed something but I believe there are the big ones. overall, you have a good shooting rifle so it may be a thing to live with??
3- as mentioned you could have a bolt timing issue. If the cocking piece is contacting the cocking ramp on its final journey forward it could cause the bolt to bounce.

When the bolt is rotated into battery, there is a milled flat/rest that is to contact the right side of the receiver rails. If that flat is too deep, the bolt rotates too far when in battery. This causes a misalignment between the sides of the sear on the cocking piece allowing it to rub/contact the straight side of the bolt cocking ramp when fired . The bolt then jumps into alignment with the cocking piece. Moreover , the rubbing robs some of the power of the striker spring slowin' the striker.
If your heart is beatin' like a rabbit, you want that striker to have all the speed it possesses so you can properly time the primer strike between beats.

You might check your trigger. Make sure it is not touching the sides or front of the bottom metal! If it is you need to relieve the metal around it.

Can anyone help me out here? Getting used to the trigger on my gun. Its a Rem 700 thats been blueprinted, PTG bolt installed and lugs lapped, with a Proof steel barrel. Trigger Tech trigger set at 1# 3oz. Bolt bounces every time I dry fire it and scope POI shifts left 1/4" every time at 100 yds. Any ideas on what's the cause and how to eliminate this? Any help would be appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.