Dry firing

Try dry firing a different rifle. U may simply have a rifle with a strong firing pin spring.

u can also put a fired case in the chamber and dry fire on it.
It will hammer the spent primer pretty good after a few shots but likely the crosshairs will remain on the target. Try it.

If you are dry firing on a empty chamber, you will get more bounce, use a snap cap or at least a fired case.
Don't wrap your thumb of your trigger hand around the stock, place it on top, light contact with the remaining fingers.
A check weld will "push" the sight, from the energy of the firing pin spring releasing, very light check contact or non at all.
You must pull the trigger straight back, other wise you will torque to one side. Concentrate pulling straight back.
Most important thing is set up the gun so the cross hairs are on target without any interaction from the shooter. Get it solid onto the bags/rifle rest so it's on target, gently get into position on the gun. If you are forcing the gun in anyway to stay on target, it will bounce/torque when the energy of the firing pin spring releases.
Sometimes a little forward pressure with your shoulder helps too.
You have to experiment to find that sweet spot.

+10000

This is amplified with very light rifles. There is a reason sniper rifles weigh close to twenty pounds nowadays.

I struggled with this going from heavy long range rigs to lightweight carbon rigs.

I would offer that a spent round or snap cap is addressing the symptom and not the problem. That jump from the firing pin is a micro view of what's going to happen with a live round. Masking it won't help you get better. As a few have said already, addressing your natural point of aim and finding that spot you can go back to shot after shot with your cheek weld, shoulder pressure and grip is what you are trying to find. Once there, trigger squeeze will generally impact your left and right POI. If you are jumping off the trigger that can impact elevation. You are on the right track with dry fire practice. Don't limit it to just the range. Best part about that is you can practice almost anywhere and in positions not always available at the range. In improvised positions, you will find the more "behind" or "in line" with the rifle you can get, the better you are able to manage the recoil.

All great information one other thing I have found that works great is Dave Tub's speedLock system firing pin and spring. It breaks faster with no jump at all.

I can go prone in my living room and see the white top of a t-post (about 1-1/2" wide) 450 yds away through a window in the trees. Dry firing at the t-post has been good practice to help refine my skills. If I'm bouncing off the t-post it it almost always my trigger control.

Screenshot_20200216-084306_Chrome.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.