Bi pods or Shooting sticks

I've been hunting and shooting for probably 60 of my 75 years. I read all I can to improve my skills. And now I am trying to decide on the purchase of either a bi pod or shooting sticks. In the past I have relied on using the best available rests: trees, fence posts, cushioned rocks, and the list goes on. Which rest do you use - bi pod or shooting sticks - and why?
I'm 62....and don't want to be having to lie on my belly quite as much as before. Especially in 1-2 ft. Of snow. It's getting harder and harder to get up ( to many sports injuries, and double rotator cuff surgeries more recently). So for me it's either long bipod ...shot from sitting or kneeling position or the new BOG POD I just bought..

Oh btw, if you choose walking sticks Wiser makes a new product that connects the walking sticks and turns them into shooting sticks. I've considered going this route. I use a trigger stick now to steady my bino's when glassing and it helps tremendously. The trigger stick becomes my rear support often when using a shooting stick, the pack, or tripod for front support.

https://www.wiserprecision.com/products/quick-stix

I have a triple pull ckye-pod, this system allows you to shoot from prone or a crouched standing position. They adjust to length quickly. I still have a couple of Harris 25s with the swivel. These are great until you have to use them on a side hill step enough your bipod isn't tall enough. I also bought a riflesticks set up to extend the length, but that was a bit clunky. I primarily hunt coyotes so side hill positions are 90% of what I shoot from. So far, the ckye-pod system is the most adaptable system I have used. So if any ones needs a Harris, or a riflesticks kit, or both PM me.

Most people don't know that much about tripod use but go to one PRS match and the world is much different when you leave. Tripods, bipods, sticks, packs, natural obstacles, etc all become part of your tool bag. If I was told I could only take 2 things it'd be the pack and tripod. I think a guy could get both front and rear support with those in just about any situation.
I agree fully that a well constructed tripod with either a Hog Saddle, Pic rail, or ARCA mount can provide a Rick solid mount from a variety of shooting positions. No problem hitting a 10" steel at 1000 yards the set-up shown in use and: 2Ftx6"dia.collapsed, 5 pound configuration with ARCA rail.
F45D8E92-EE75-4D33-B188-3542267B4FD0.jpeg DB8EEA17-7BD4-49DB-9490-D7E35737DFFC.jpeg

I borrowed a Primos Gen 2 Trigger Stick tri-pod for a shot at an Alberta Whitetail a couple years ago. I made a 390 yard one shot kill with my .257 Wby Mag that was the best shot of my life. I could not believe how stable it was. I ordered one for myself from Cabelas when I got back into camp later that night. LOL.

I have bi-pods but have never shot at anything while they we attached to any of my rifles. I think they bring my bad luck. LOL. They also make my gun heavier and harder to handle.

I also have a Bog-Pod which works well for me when I'm in a blind.
Lmao....I just bought my first bipods two years ago.....and like you seem to be dragging them around on my guns for no reason. Shot 6 animals past 2 years....never unfolded them once....I guess I just like adding extra weight for balance...... or something?

Four 8 ft bamboo canes make a great cheap set of quadsticks. Useful for stalking and shooting over high vegetation . Also when not when not in use for help in hiking around.

IMG_7015.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7004.jpg
    IMG_7004.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_7005.jpg
    IMG_7005.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_7019.jpg
    IMG_7019.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_7022.jpg
    IMG_7022.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_7031.jpg
    IMG_7031.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 245
I made my own shooting sticks. One set for kneeing and one set for standing.

I used furring strips I purchased at Lowe's. 1x2x8 for less than a buck. Of course actual measurements are less. Bolt, washers and wing nut. Stained to blend into environment.

Got tired of spending money and wanted to make something myself. I also use the standing set to steady myself as I walk the fields. I use these for hunting woodchucks.

It's not rocket science.

My very first pair of shooting sticks were a home-made operation, too. I used a pair of 1/2" hardwood dowels from the hardware store, banded together with a stout rubber band. Many a woodchuck went to the clover patch in the sky when I shot off these sticks. I shot almost exclusively from the sitting position, and the learning curve was steep. It doesn't take long at all to figure out the nifty little tricks that make this simple set-up work. I may make myself a new set, with slightly larger dowels to use from the standing position. Do you think that a pair of broom-sticks would be tall enough for that, and to double as a walking staff like you mentioned ?

Bi-pods are not easy to use; you must practice with them. I do have them on my bench rest Ruger PR with a mono pod on the stock. Great for shooting from the bench, prone, or over the hood ( may damage paint) of pick up where legal. For bench rest shooting sand bags are way better. I took the bi-pods & mono pod off my long range Tikka 25-06 because it would not fit in any scabbard or case on my ATV. A walking staff about 6 feet long is another option for rifles that don't have a lot of recoil.

I've been hunting and shooting for probably 60 of my 75 years. I read all I can to improve my skills. And now I am trying to decide on the purchase of either a bi pod or shooting sticks. In the past I have relied on using the best available rests: trees, fence posts, cushioned rocks, and the list goes on. Which rest do you use - bi pod or shooting sticks - and why?
I have both. I have an Atlas Bipod on my rifle and carry a Bog Pod Tripod on the side of my pack. My first choice is prone with the Atlas. Sometimes sage brush, grass or just the topography rules out the rifle attached Bipod. Nice to have the tri pod as backup. I've shot most of my coyotes with the bog pod and probably about 1/3 of big game animals over the sticks.

with carbon fiber, you can now get a tripod that you can shoot from prone, sitting or standing that weighs less than some of the steel bipods. I use a qd to mount the gun on the tripod.. you can do for pretty cheap less than ~200 to hold up to a 13lb gun. if you need the tripod is removed while hiking, then setup is quick, get the tripod with twist locking legs.. If you have more money, Nightforce makes a tripod where 2 legs come off and can be used as walking stick.

That looks like a nice light setup. What make/model and where should I buy them for the best price?

That is a fiesol 3342 with a fiesol ball head. They are not cheap but for the weight and strength I've found nothing at the same level. I wanted a light package that I could haul into the field. This was the best I could come up with.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.