Bi pods or Shooting sticks

I've been hunting and shooting for probably 60 of my 75 years. I read all I can to improve my skills. And now I am trying to decide on the purchase of either a bi pod or shooting sticks. In the past I have relied on using the best available rests: trees, fence posts, cushioned rocks, and the list goes on. Which rest do you use - bi pod or shooting sticks - and why?
I like both. For shooting at the range, I use a bipod attached to the sling swivel and heavy bag for the butt stock. For getting ready to hunt from a blind I do not use the bipod because of the weight it adds to the forend so I recheck the zero using a bag rest. I use a bipod aft of the trigger guard to support the rifle in the deer blind, waiting for a target but not for the shot. In a ground blind I use a tripod forward and a bipod aft on the rifle for the shot. Have not done any open field hunting as the areas where I hunt would make that all but impossible due to trees and brush.

I use a fiesol 3342 carbon fiber tripod and a feisol 50mm ball head with arca swiss rail. I have my spotting scope and bino's set up for the tripod as well. The whole thing is 3lbs!!!

This is similar to the setup I use for hunting and matches. I have an RRS ball head, but the same tripod. Very stable. I've shot sub-moa 5 shot groups during practice off the tripod set-up kneeling. Alternatively, if you have a log or something for a front rest, you can use the tripod leg as a rear support. When I time myself, it takes about 15-20 seconds to fully extend and set up.

I've been hunting and shooting for probably 60 of my 75 years. I read all I can to improve my skills. And now I am trying to decide on the purchase of either a bi pod or shooting sticks. In the past I have relied on using the best available rests: trees, fence posts, cushioned rocks, and the list goes on. Which rest do you use - bi pod or shooting sticks - and why?
I am in the 'both' camp too. Most of my hunting is over ground where there is very little chance of shooting prone - so I carry shooting sticks for standing, kneeling sitting (preferred) shots. Set up right its surprising how stable you can get it - add a second set of sticks for the butt and your range potential is surprising. Yes, it's not fast to set up, but for longer ranges speed is usually not the biggest issue. Where and when I can bipods or using a backpack rest are favourites. Sticks are also very useful when covering rough terrain, rivers and streams. I've used mine to extract myself from unseen bogs and to cross a small upland river in spate that would have been very tricky otherwise.

If you are up there in age , not assuming, but the best all around way to go is using a Really Right Stuff Tripod. Get the SOAR model and install the Arca mounts on your rifles, spotting scopes and even Binos. You can be glossing and quickly switch out the spotting scope to your rifle and you will have a solid rest. I would practice shooting off a tripod.

If you are able to get low in the dirt and it presents a clean field of view and shot, prone on a Bipod is always best. But I'm lazy and standing there with a tripod gets me over bushes etc...

The SOAR package is extremely light, worth every penny! Give it a try. I used to use Manfroto but RRS is that much better

This is similar to the setup I use for hunting and matches. I have an RRS ball head, but the same tripod. Very stable. I've shot sub-moa 5 shot groups during practice off the tripod set-up kneeling. Alternatively, if you have a log or something for a front rest, you can use the tripod leg as a rear support. When I time myself, it takes about 15-20 seconds to fully extend and set up.

Most people don't know that much about tripod use but go to one PRS match and the world is much different when you leave. Tripods, bipods, sticks, packs, natural obstacles, etc all become part of your tool bag. If I was told I could only take 2 things it'd be the pack and tripod. I think a guy could get both front and rear support with those in just about any situation.

I uploaded some pics, you can see how stable the RRS is. That's elk at 600 plus yards, that gun doesn't have a Arca rail mounted to the stock yet, but using a Hogg Saddle worked perfectly

Attachments

• 20181120_155607.jpg
    20181120_155607.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 219
  • 20181119_100929.jpg
    20181119_100929.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 194
Both. I have the bipod attached for prone shots and when those aren't an option, the sticks cover sitting or standing. I find the use the sticks adequately for long range, I have to brace my body against something like a rock or tree so my rear rest is stable enough.

You need both and consider a tripod rather than a two-legged stick. Perhaps all 3. I have used my bipod for all types of precision shots like croc and hippo. I also have 2 tripods: 1 heavy duty aluminum camera tripod with a Hog Saddle and then 1 light weight carbon fiber Spartan Sentinel tripod. The Sentinel is set up for my Blaser stocks and is an exquisite piece of kit.

I have used two-legged sticks, usually the PH's. Whatever you use, practice with what the actual tool you're going to use. You don't want to be shooting at game for the first time using whatever tool you've selected.

I was a big believer in bi- pods but hunting in New Mexico last year using walking sticks and using them as Shooting sticks worked much easier on uneven ground. Shooting down into canyons

If a choice was to be made, unless you are specifically planning in long range precision shots from the prone position, with terrain/brush that enables a clean shot, I would be inclined to go with a set of good shooting sticks that could accommodate accurate sitting through standing shots. Should the prone opportunity arise, it can easily be accommodated with a back-pack, or coat. IMO.

I'm with you on this one, Grey Fox. Woodchucks aside, I could probably count on my ten fingers how many times I've been able to get low enough to shoot at an animal from the prone position. Mostly, brush is the problem, and sitting on my keester with an old pair of Underwood sticks has been the answer most of the time. They also work well kneeling, and bracing the elbows is the key - especially the one connected to the trigger hand. If you can lean your torso against a rock or fence post, so much the better. They fold up short, are light in weight, and can be stuck out of the way in the back pocket of your pants for the last hundred yards of your belly-crawl into shooting position. If I was going to do anything different, it might be to get a longer set, since I have had a few situations when a standing shot was all that was available. They all worked out OK from the un-supported offhand position, but only because the animals were very close. I also think that as I get older, I might like to have a tall set of sticks to aid in walking in rough terrain, so I have my eyes out for a full-length set of sticks. Any recommendations for me ???? Thanks, Guys.

Nick

I like both... bipod needed for long range or a long bipod when sitting hillside.

Sticks.... I like the primos monopod Trigger stick. Mine has worked fine although some people manage to break them.

I made my own shooting sticks. One set for kneeing and one set for standing.

I used furring strips I purchased at Lowe's. 1x2x8 for less than a buck. Of course actual measurements are less. Bolt, washers and wing nut. Stained to blend into environment.

Got tired of spending money and wanted to make something myself. I also use the standing set to steady myself as I walk the fields. I use these for hunting woodchucks.

It's not rocket science.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.