Bi-pods

You many want to look in the MDT's Cyke Pod. I like the available height of the triple pull version but am still thinking about it due to the price.

Just throwing this out there but if you want a sitting height bipod and you glass off a tripod while hunting, then check out the numerous Arca adapters where you can just use your glassing tripod to shoot sitting or standing. I have a atlas up front and a arca adapter on all my rifles for when I need more height I can just clamp the rifle onto my glassing tripod.

The Ckye Pod is absolutely outstanding! It costs, but you won't be disappointed with its versatility. I have used the triple pull for a few years now and wouldn't consider changing. It works for prone all the way up to kneeling with an unbelievable number of combinations in between.

Bipods are critical in your position build. Don't cheap up here. There are many bipods offerings from which to select other than Harris and Atlas. Purchase decisions are like hunting. At least for me, it's the hunt more so than the kill. While not for everyone, gathering info, talking with other shooters, comparing offerings is part of the sport,,,,,,,and, it is the cheapest segment of the sport.... :) :) :) Although the knowledge gathered can be very expensive as awareness of perceived need and offered solutions is the first step in making purchasing decisions........aka spending money....often boat loads of money. Without awareness of need and solutions, one doesn't spend hard earned money. Enter the Marketing/Advertising types. :) :) :) Atlas are great, robust bipods, although 2-5x the cost of Harris. They have more slack (clearances, slop) in the legs that needs to be taken up in position build. The Harris with the spring has less slack. Both types have several versions, so study the specs to make your choice. For instance, the Atlas PRS model legs do not rotate resulting in less"walk" under loading and recoil, especially on slick concrete shooting benches. Atlas offers leg extensions maybe covering broader application range. There are many manufacturer OEM accessories as well as ex-OEM accessories on the market. More hunt!!! As an observation, on the new ASR (Advanced Sniper Rifle) Barrett MRAD MK22, USSOCOM chose the "lowly" Harris. They could have chosen any bipod in existence....or yet to be developed to their specs. Harris is a lot of bang for the buck. However, I gravitate toward getting what meets my anticipated application range with the best quality and robustness available. Buy once; cry once; happy ever after......until one sees a newer gadget. Thanks Marketing?Advertising types!!! Remember, bipods are quickly moved between shooting platforms, so the initial cost gets applied over many applications. Spend time understanding your maximum projected application range and the features each bipod offers. One is rarely disappointed in buying great gear. But, the sweetness of low cost soon sours from poor performance.

Last edited:
I've looked at, and used, some high end bipods at our local prs matches, but in the end I don't think I'll shoot any better with a 500$ unit than I do with my Harris. Right now all my shooting budget is going to upgraded wind and range finding tools. A kestrel 5700 ab is supposed to arrive Monday and the Leica 3500 next. Upgraded bipod isn't at the top of the list... yet

Really think about your bipod as part of a larger system and how you think you will hunt. I am not the most prolific hunter, but I can tell you that in the years since I started, I have used a bipod to shoot an animal exactly zero times. Whether it is terrain or plants, I simply need more elevation on the rifle for hunting applications and primarily shoot off a tripod. With this in mind, when it comes to hunting, I tend to go light/affordable like a Harris because it sits very streamline and chances are I won't use it. Magpul makes a decent lightweight bipod, and Atlas makes a pretty good product which is a fair compromise of weight/durability/features while being a little pricier. Once you start adding an attachment system to your tripod or rail to your rifle, the weight starts to add up which is why I like the simplicity of the Harris. My precision guns get an Accu-Tac where weight is of no concern; different tools for different applications.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts