Bi pods or Shooting sticks

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Gibbshooter43, Aug 18, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Gibbshooter43

Gibbshooter43 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I’ve been hunting and shooting for probably 60 of my 75 years. I read all I can to improve my skills. And now I am trying to decide on the purchase of either a bi pod or shooting sticks. In the past I have relied on using the best available rests: trees, fence posts, cushioned rocks, and the list goes on. Which rest do you use - bi pod or shooting sticks - and why?

Huggy, Sanford338, skipglo and 2 others like this.
  2. huntsman22

huntsman22 Well-Known Member

both....

mmgravy, lancetkenyon, Huggy and 5 others like this.
  3. Deezel

Deezel Well-Known Member

For me, when hunting, it's shooting sticks. I find it's more comfortable shooting from my knees or standing. The other thing is where I typically hunt, I usually don't find myself in a position to use a bi-pod very often. If I do find myself in a position where a bi-pod would be a great choice, usually my jacket or backpack is stable enough for a good rest.

J.G.W, Huggy, 73driver and 6 others like this.
  4. huntsman22

different tools, different uses.....

Huggy and FlyGuy11 like this.
  5. PredatorSlayer

PredatorSlayer Well-Known Member

After experimenting with several different bipods and shooting sticks/tripods, I have settled in the harris S25 12-25 swivel. Works for prone, sitting and kneeling. If I need lower, I just use a pack as a rest. If I am sitting and need a little higher I put the bipod legs on my toes and can move them up or down. I have killed a lot of animals with this bipod. My coyote guns all have the taller 13 1/2-27 since I am almost always sitting down. I like the bipods because they are attached to the rifle and one less thing to worry about forgetting in the heat of the moment.

6. TwoTracks

TwoTracks Member

Both, keep the bipod on the rifle and use shooting sticks as hiking poles as you walk/sneak around. The sticks make 50-200 yard offhand shots easy. upload_2019-8-18_11-34-41.jpeg

7. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Well-Known Member

I have used lots of different bipods and shooting sticks. I wanted to use the Harris 13"-27" but it was too short for me so I sold it. Bought a Swagger that I really like because it is long enough to use on a ditch bank or sidehill when calling coyotes. I have all kinds of shooting sticks I have acquired over the years, but the ones I use most are a homemade pair I made to a customer length for me. Cost me maybe five dollars.

Huggy likes this.
  8. Gibbshooter43

Gibbshooter43 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I’d love to see a picture of what you constructed since I’ve been considering the same option using fiberglass rods and neoprene tubing.

Huggy likes this.
  9. huntsman22

fiberglass sucks. think carbon fiber.....

Huggy and FlyGuy11 like this.
  10. Dosh

Dosh Well-Known Member

43, two legged shooting sticks weren't very stable for me. I bought a tripod which adjusts from sitting to standing due to grass and brush being too high most often. If the situation presents itself, I shoot prone with the attached bipod. I'm almost 70 and like Two Tracks, the tripod doubles as a hiking pole which I don't do much of.

Chino Tom, bogey and Huggy like this.
  11. huntsman22

Two-legged sticks are more than stable, when used properly...

12. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Well-Known Member

Gibbshooter, that is exactly what I used and have had them for years. Couple of fiberglass poles, some green castration bands, and a piece of 5/8 inch fuel line hose. Your neoprene tubing might be better if it stays flexible in cold weather.

Huggy likes this.
  13. Shopdog

Shopdog Member

Shooting sticks made from arrows lashed together with surgical hose slid over the top 5-6" . Really nice walking through the woods knocking spider webs down too,got tired of eating them.

14. huntsman22

shooting sticks....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

trigger stick tripod
    [​IMG]

bipods
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MWood, mmgravy, Huggy and 5 others like this.