best whitetail deer bullet

Any thoughts on a 243 pushing a 115 Berger Hunting vld for whitetail? I've heard really good things about them. Regardless of bullet/caliber, shot placement is key of course.

I have a Sako 75 finnlight in 243. I load 42.5 grains of 4831 pushing a 95 grain vld and it is an absolute HAMMER! I've only killed a few deer with it from 50 yards to 125. The close one ran 30 yards with vitals of mush and the longer shot was dead before he hit the ground. Didn't see the need to go to 105 or larger. Didn't realize they made a 115

I don't know about other parts of the USA, but I do know about PA. and if you shoot a whitetail deer through both shoulders with a 165 gr. Sierra G.K. out of a 30/06, IT IS BANG FLOP the deer might kick some but it is not going anywhere.

I don't know about other parts of the USA, but I do know about PA. and if you shoot a whitetail deer through both shoulders with a 165 gr. Sierra G.K. out of a 30/06, IT IS BANG FLOP the deer might kick some but it is not going anywhere.

Completely Agree! That applies anywhere....you break both shoulders with any well constructed bullet and they're not going anywhere! Not only does that shot take out their running gear, bone fragments are like schrapnel to the vitals. I have no control over my lease hunters but on guided hunts, I don't allow any paying customer to shoot until they have a broadside shot...... and as I said in a previous post, I recommend Barnes bullets to all my hunters and with a broadside shot, I can't remember ever recovering a Barnes bullet.....complete pass through and they're DRT....Dead Right There!

Another vote for the Nosler Partition. I've been using the Federal Premium 165g partitions in my 300wsm for the last couple years and every whitetail I've pulled the trigger on was DRT.

Shot three deer with my 6.5 Grendel using Hornady 123gr SSTs. One Mulie buck 253yds quartering away. Bullet exited shoulder. WT Doe through both shoulders 100yds.WT Doe broad side lung shot 150yds. SST worked as advertised.
This was not my experience with 6.5 Grendel and SST the last couple years. Shot a buck broadside at 90 yds right behind shoulder, he took off like hadnt been hit at all. Running flat out started quartering slightly right at about 150, put crosshairs on last rib and let 'er rip. All that did was make him turn straight away again and stomp the gas. At this point, i'm ready to start puking or throw my rifle out of the box. Gave up praying he'd stop or turn when he hit 200 yd mark. The only saving grace of the AR imho is you get 5 shots, aint dying if lead aint flying. So i put crosshairs dead center on his backdoor and gave him the 'ol Texas heart shot right up the exhaust pipe. This one still didn't stop him but it slowed him up. All 3 shots hit EXACTLY where aimed including the last one and he ran another 60 yds. Second buck was shot at 80 yds again through ribs trotting this time, no reaction whatsoever. Turned still trotting after his doe, he crossed river to my side and ran straight at me where i was sitting on ground backed up against a stump. Shot him in the neck at 12 yards and he **** near dropped on me. I will never shoot at another mature buck with a 6.5 Grendel !!!

I spent many years as a whitetail guide and i've seen about everything in the way of rifles, bullets, and hunters. To me the single greatest variable is the hunter. Most of these guys are business professionals who go hunting to get away from their hectic lives. Unfortunately, they are hunters NOT riflemen. It astounds me that these guys have rigs costing 5 or 6K and have never shot beyond 100 or 200 yds. Much less have they practiced in crosswinds. A lot of these guys are cluless as to shot placement or bullet types. Some get lucky others pass up shots that I would consider very makeable. Never ceases to amaze me you cant convince a fellow that his high$ ultra mega magnum is plenty capable on a 300 yard shot. I shakes my head.

I have had much success with Barnes Vor-Tx 308 Win 150 gr. Tipped TSX BT...closest shot was 250 yds and furthest was 547 with Weatherby so far. I use Barnes Vor-Tx in 35 Whelen 180 Gr. when hunting from climber for close shots.

For me it will always be Sierra Game Kings. I've tried other bullets and some were ok but the G.K. never failed. Most all deer shot were bang flop with G.K.'s.

has anyone been using the Berger hunting vld for deer hunting?I have been using the vlds in my 6.5 and get really tight groups at 300 yds.They shoot tighter than the accubonds and ballistic tips that I was using for deer hunting.Accubonds seem to be too tough for deer,or at least 8 or 10 that I have harvested with them.Make no mistake about it,they are going to give an exit wound.
Guess I just wanted to try the Bergers after what I heard about them.
would like to get some info from all you shooters ot there.
Thanks,Jim