Best scope leveling tool?

my opinion , the tall target is the best .

If you don't have the torque wrench-this;

If you do-this;

Or this and a plumb bob/string

I use the Wheeler

I just set the gun on the kitchen table so that it looks pretty plumb.
Then open the side door and align the reticle on the corner of the garage which is about 100' away.
I keep an orange target dot on the garage door and bore site on that after inserting an old case with the primer removed.
As for torque drivers, they only seem to be necessary with scopes having thinner tubes.

I use my friend's plumb Bob, when I don't have it I use a level to put up the target and put a bubble level in the rail, just the plan old glass ones that aren't mounted in a housing. I found the plastics can deform over time (scratches and whatnot)

I did try out a shim system with fair success. Simular to this.
I found mine for $5 shipped. Works great except on a very low action to bottom of scope dial housing? There just isn't space (Bausch and Lomb 4500 on a cz 457 in extra low rings) , and on rounded receivers. But you would have an issue finding a place for a level there too.

Well, I did the old school eyeball then a upside down T for verification for decades. I just finished my first one yesterday using the Wheeler reticle leveling kit. Yep, not one bit of difference for me from $55 spent. Still needed the upside down T to adjust and verify it was level. Now they have a name for it...Tall target test. Kind of like the torque wrench for setting base/ring screws. My calibrated torque fingers worked for almost 50 years with no issues at all. The first base I ever had come loose was with my you have to have a Fat Wrench Torque BS. Use my torque fingers today and seem to still be calibrated.

I use this on a flat surface with a plumb bob.

Scope Level.jpg

Recent Posts