Leveling your scope quick and easy

(link corrected, but mfg's page: https://sitelite-lasers.com/product_SL500.html)

There are those who shudder at the thought of inserting anything into the muzzle of a rifle.

Their page mentions a reticle aligning tool, but I've not yet found anything about it or how it works.
Here ya go

It's only as good as the setup and useless in bright daylight. Money I wish I would have kept in my pocket.

IMG_2633.jpeg

(link corrected, but mfg's page: https://sitelite-lasers.com/product_SL500.html)

There are those who shudder at the thought of inserting anything into the muzzle of a rifle.

Their page mentions a reticle aligning tool, but I've not yet found anything about it or how it works.
It's just a plastic piece you stick over the end of the laser. And mount a piece of cardboard with a level attached to it to the wall. When I get home I'll post it for you if interested. I usually just use a straight edge n plumbob. I find it to easier and more precise.

Here ya go

It's only as good as the setup and useless in bright daylight. Money I wish I would have kept in my pocket.

View attachment 530019
I feel ya. I tried it on a few different firearms. And never had much luck. I would go to range to fine tune on target. And would be off dramatically. I would have to resort to old school techniques. Look down the bore for target. lol I just figured I was doing something wrong. LMAO 🤣 😜
And yes I did print out the target w/ load data entered & yardage.
Edit: I have been learning that you need to spin the sitelite in a circle & sight your reticle to the center of the circle. So I may give this tool another shot to see if it helps for bore sighting anyhow. .

Last edited:
I'm in my mid 70's. I shot 1000yds at Bisley, in the mid '60's, with a #4 Enfield.
I did use a scope until 1979. I have used many different methods including eyeball. I now use levels.
I want the reticle to be as vertical as possible so that I can squeeze as much accuracy as possible.
Back in the day there weren't any problems because they didn't know there was a problem.
Well when and if you ever get to the point that you can look back on fifty or sixty years of success and failure when long range hunting, you will realize that the scope reticle being perfect wasent involved in any of it.
And neither did the coralis affect on where your bullets landed.
It is still judged by those who can will, and those that cant for whatever reason will find excuses for why.

I am real olde & can remember shooting in competition at 600, sixty years ago, with another guy who had a bubble level on hit front sight. He told me that when he wanted to move hits slightly to left or right he slightly canted his rifle using the bubble level as an indicator. The effect was noticeable when I tried it after the match when targets were still being pulled.

Should I be shooting at some small rodent, like 1 mile distant, north or south of my position, near the Panama canal, the Coralis effect would make me aim at the rodent's left or right end depending. I don't have plans to do this.

It is easier to launch satellites near the equator.

The only issue I've had with the wedges is that some scopes have a big turret area and the space between the scope and the pic rail is to small to use the wedges. A person might have to be careful not to torque your scope down on top of the wedge, you could damage something, so I would recommend watching that. Maybe move the wedge in and out every time you torque a screw a little. Also have heard of coins and playing cards being used. Each to their own…..shining a light through the objective onto a wall with a perfectly leveled cross drawn on paper has done me very well!

The only issue I've had with the wedges is that some scopes have a big turret area and the space between the scope and the pic rail is to small to use the wedges. A person might have to be careful not to torque your scope down on top of the wedge, you could damage something, so I would recommend watching that. Maybe move the wedge in and out every time you torque a screw a little. Also have heard of coins and playing cards being used. Each to their own…..shining a light through the objective onto a wall with a perfectly leveled cross drawn on paper has done me very well!

@lancetkenyon recommended playing cards and another recommended feeler gauges in lieu of the wedges, both excellent ideas.

I think the big takeaway from this thread is that you should do it and then verify it is correct.