Leveling your scope quick and easy

You need to be careful with some scopes as the reticles aren't always timed to the turret housings perfect. If you use the reticle line up with plumb line and the reticle is canted in the scope tube it will track off to the side. Once you mount it. Check that out tracks straight before taking it for granted

I am often pulled into trying to improve things where I don't have problems. I have been mounting scopes using bubble levels and plumb bobs for a long time. I've got a drawer full of scope rings, bases, and tools. If I spent more time shooting than trying to improve my setups, I would probably be better off.
Well said 👏

I am often pulled into trying to improve things where I don't have problems. I have been mounting scopes using bubble levels and plumb bobs for a long time. I've got a drawer full of scope rings, bases, and tools. If I spent more time shooting than trying to improve my setups, I would probably be better off.
And money ahead trying the latest and greatest!

You need to be careful with some scopes as the reticles aren't always timed to the turret housings perfect. If you use the reticle line up with plumb line and the reticle is canted in the scope tube it will track off to the side. Once you mount it. Check that out tracks straight before taking it for granted
I have a scope that is just as you described. Not a real cheap scope either. Not a $4 grand scope but it was around $1,500.00. Not a happy camper right now. I will see how the company wants to handle this.

I just leveled 3 scopes using the EXD Engineering Vertical Reticle Instument from Brownell's (about $60 including shipping). The scopes were previously leveled using two bubble levels on receiver rail & top of scope dial & all showed a slight cant.

The EXD gadget was used with a felt tip pen, letter size paper, masking tape, 3 ft carpenter's level & a 4 cell mag light.

The scope was positioned directly over the bore axis using the EXD tool. The reticle image was projected onto the paper screen taped to a cabinet door having a drawn plumb line with a 4 cell light thru objective lens & scope twisted so vertical reticle line coincided with plumb line drawn using a felt tip pen & level.

Recent Posts