Best scope leveling tool?

I use the shutters on the neighbor's house across the street. House partially burned last yr, and he got new windows, same shutters. Fate for 35 yrs.

The level right pro looks pretty cool to me, but I don't have one or use any gadgets. Just put scope in rings, set eye relief, align reticle to look verticle. Don't even have a way to hold rifle plumb.

Wheeler Professional. I mount 2-3 scopes per week where I work. Works Great, easy and accurate.

FYI: I use a short machinists' rule and come off the bottom of the turret with the level sitting on it for final leveling. Scope caps are rarely level to the reticle.

Thanks for all the replies and keep them coming! It's amazing how many different methods people use. I'm investigating each and will decide on something this week.

I have a question.
So lets say you send a practice round at a small rock on a hillside at say 650, and the bullet lands a bit to the right or left of the target.
Are you going to just sit there and evaluate what caused that?
Or would you make a correction and send another one?
Whats the difference what caused it, get over it and move on.
We dont live in a perfect world, yet for some reason many feel we can perfect things like first round hits at long distances.
There are obviously 2 different worlds we live in here.
Real world and dream world.

Long story short I've used levels and I like them. But I've also got three different plumbs from three different common spots on a rifle. So I pick the one closest to centerline on my buttpad and confirm on the range. When I say "centerline of my buttpad" I mean I'll draw or imagine a centerline going down my buttpad and match that to a plumbline. That plumbline could be as simple as a wall or door jam in my house. Pretty much check like on post #2 by jimbires. His target is much better than mine though and I'll try it out in the future.

I do it in 3 steps:
1) Mount scope to rifle using "flyingAMZ" (optical leveler) or similar wedge device that will level the scope to the base, as mounted on rifle. Tighten rings, to appropriate torque. (Be careful to remove "wedge" prior to tightening rings, too much. Snug rings down, and remove wedge,,, check for light between wedge and scope base, snug a little more, until you can properly torque without damaging scope.)
2) Hang a plumb line and align reticle with plumb line. Tipping - adjusting rifle as required.
3) Install "bubble type scope level", while keeping reticle aligned with plumb line. Making sure that "bubble level" and reticle match alignment of plumb line.

I've found that this one with a plumb bob works great and for the life of me at this time I can't recall the name, I'm sure you could find it in a search. It's old school but works great.

1650296609218.png

I'm considering purchasing a scope leveling tool/kit. What are the best options and are they worth the money?
I usually use the Deadlevel by Badger Ordnance and string plumb bob/flashlight to level scope to mounts before moving to rifle. Only use picatinny rail mounts. Also have 289-100-000WB VERTICAL RETICLE INSTRUMENT Mfr Part: VR3 from Brownells to level reticle, from earlier gunsmithing days. Often, using a padded machinists vise on vertical mill, dial indicate the rifle pic rail prior to mounting zeroed scope/mount to rail. Yeah, overkill, but dead nuts, no questions, no iffy/maybes. Optically use TargetsUSA.com fixture for tall target precision, repeatability tracking confirmation at precise tape measured 100yds. Optical tracking avoids shooter/ammo inconsistencies/recoil management/Sd/Es/wind yada. yada. Have tested bubble levels from most manufacturers finding very often off by up to 3 degrees.....garbage in, garbage out. Use precision machinists levels...Starrett mostly......for leveling, even with Deadlevel and TargetUSA fixtures (out of stock...permanently???)........can take the engineer out of engineering; can't take the engineering out of an engineer. Most inexpensive scope level allowing good precision is a sting plum bob and flashlight through scope.

Deadlevel by Badger Ordnance
1650299063113.png

Scope Alignment Riser and Base from TargetsUSA.com (out of stock....permanently???)
1650299163290.png

Last edited: