Best Nightforce Reticle - for hunting?

SouthTXBowhunter

I neep to pick a reticle for the Nightforce I'm ordering and I'm wondering which one's yall think are the best for hunting- AND WHY? I'm either ordering a 3.5-15x50 NXS or a 3.5-15x56 NXS

I will be using the scope for all types of hunting- both conventional and long range- and I do a LOT of very low-light and legal night (moonlight) hunting, for hogs and predators. One of my concerns about ordering one of the 'busier' reticles is all the light they will emit when illuminated. Often, when we're hunting at night, with no suplementary light, illuminated reticles actually make it HARDER to see the target; because they are so bright they constrict the pupil. I know the scope has a lot of settings and Nightforce has assured me the lower settings will be very dim, yet still visible, and that they shouldn't interfere with target acquitition. However, I'm still a little concerned.

So, the reticles that I am considering are the: NP-R1, NP-R2, Mildot and MLR

Can I get some opinions on which reticle is the best all-around hunting reticle and WHY you think so? I'm particularly interested in hearing if you've had experience shooting in very low light or at night with it; but I'd like tohear from everyone that uses a Nightforce scope for hunting

Nick

I've not used my NXS for hunting yet, though I'm sure I will this coming year (it's a mildot which would not be my first choice for hunting). I have a friend that uses Nightforce almost exclusively for LR Hunting. He favours the NPR2.The only other LR scope I have is a MArk 4 with the TMR which I quite like.

I have the R2 and I like it. It's marked at 2 MOA increments which is a little less *busy* than the 1 MOA hashes on the R1. The R1 will be a little more precise for holding on target. the R2 might be a little better for night shooting with an illuminated reticle since it's less busy? I think both reticles are great and your choice should be based on your needs and preferences.

For *me* the NP-R2 is a perfect reticle for hunting. It's very simple to use and easy to interpolate between 2 MOA. The reticle allows for holding on up to 20 MOA of drop without dialing, which gets me to about 1000 yds with my bullet trajectories.

Last edited:
I also believe that the intensity of the illuminated reticle can be adjusted. After looking in both of mine after hours, I believe that they are all set a little too bright from the factory.

I have the R2 and I like it. It's marked at 2 MOA increments which is a little less *busy* than the 1 MOA hashes on the R1. The R1 will be a little more precise for holding on target. the R2 might be a little better for night shooting with an illuminated reticle since it's less busy? I think both reticles are great and your choice should be nbased on your needs and preferences.

For *me* the NP-R2 is a perfect reticle for hunting. It's very simple to use and easy to interpolate between 2 MOA. The reticle allows for holding on up to 20 MOA of drop without dialing, which gets me to about 1000 yds with my bullet trajectories.

+1.. I'm 58 and I can see it and if need be it can be illuminated. The NPR-2 is avery good choice as is the Mill Dot from Nightforce with the see through Dots

I also believe that the intensity of the illuminated reticle can be adjusted. After looking in both of mine after hours, I believe that they are all set a little too bright from the factory.

Yup, mine was set a little bright from the factory. It took a while to tweek it to the right illumination because you have to take the battery out and adjust the dial by trial and error method. Not something to do in the field. *Hint to the NF guys* - it would be real nice if they had an adjustment that you could fine tune while actually looking at the reticle.

I have the NP-R1 56mm and it works well in low light; however, to be honest the next NF I buy will probably be the R2....for what it's worth.

I have the NP-R1 56mm and it works well in low light; however, to be honest the next NF I buy will probably be the R2....for what it's worth.

txlongrange-

Thanks for the input! You can have your reticle swapped out by Nightforce- if you send them your scope. Thought you might like to know, if you didn't already

Have you had any experience with the 50MM objective model- I'd love to hear a comparison between the 50MM and the 56MM objective models, from someone that's used both in low light conditions, to see if there's any SIGNIFICANT, practical difference between the two.

I think I'm going to go with the NP-R2. Not 100% yet, but probably 98%

Nick

I have the R2 and I like it. It's marked at 2 MOA increments which is a little less *busy* than the 1 MOA hashes on the R1. The R1 will be a little more precise for holding on target. the R2 might be a little better for night shooting with an illuminated reticle since it's less busy? I think both reticles are great and your choice should be based on your needs and preferences.

MontanaRifleman-

Thanks for the input! I totally agree with you. My problem is that I've been out of LR shooting for so long that a lot of this stuff (technology-wise) is new to me and I don't yet KNOW what my preferences are. I'm sure to make some mistakes in my choices but, with such high-dollar items on the table, I'm trying to use y'all's input to make the most informed, although totally lacking in personal experience, choices I can. Maybe then I won't make too serious a 'boogle!' LOL!

txlongrange-

Thanks for the input! You can have your reticle swapped out by Nightforce- if you send them your scope. Thought you might like to know, if you didn't already

Have you had any experience with the 50MM objective model- I'd love to hear a comparison between the 50MM and the 56MM objective models, from someone that's used both in low light conditions, to see if there's any SIGNIFICANT, practical difference between the two.

I think I'm going to go with the NP-R2. Not 100% yet, but probably 98%

Nick

Yeap, I know I can have it changed; however, I need an excuse for another scope with the R2 reticle....lol.

I can't help you with the 50mm in low light, but I'm sure the other folks on here will assist. I'm curious to know myself.

Actually, Nick...I'm glad you've asked the two questions about NF scopes recently. I'm somewhat piggy-backing on your questions to determine my next purchase.

Take care.

Shawn
Can you tell a difference in light in the50 or 56mm - 5.5x22 magnifacation? Just getting older, need more light. IP

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.