Best rig for hunting these!

pretex

Hello and thanks for this great site.

My gunsmith made me a pretty good offer on a total costum rig, spec for what I would like as of stock cal. barrel length twist colour, you name it.
That ofcourse made me think about getting me a new rig:)

So I would like to ask all you here on the site, what would you think the best costum rig, not to heavy, for hunting these guys between 500-1000yards would be?

jakt.h1.jpg

I would go with a 300 WSM. Norma makes excellent brass and the 300 WSM will push a 190grn Bullet at around 3000fps and a 210grn Bullet at 2900fps.

I'm gonna suggest the 338 edge.

For 500-1000 the knock down of the 300 wsm would be great. I have only been on a couple caribou hunts but they seem to die a bit easier than elk ( Mine was a real push over). I would really emphasize a round with excellent bc bullets.

I have never hunted caribou in an area where there wasn't extreme wind, and wind drift is the hardest part of the long shot equation. The last caribou I pummeled was on a day with the wind pushing 35+.

The edge with the 300 smk would be a great option for long range windy day caribou.

Hello and thanks for this great site.

My gunsmith made me a pretty good offer on a total costum rig, spec for what I would like as of stock cal. barrel length twist colour, you name it.
That ofcourse made me think about getting me a new rig:)

So I would like to ask all you here on the site, what would you think the best costum rig, not to heavy, for hunting these guys between 500-1000yards would be?

jakt.h1.jpg

I would recomend something like the 300 RUM .

Recoil is not bad in a 8lb rifle ( #4 or #5 contour barrel ) with scope.

If you wanted it lighter than that you mite want a muzzel break for it.

Ballistics are very good with 165gr to 200gr bullets and should hammer them .

Also most smiths like the RUM and can make them shoot well.

Just a thought
J E CUSTOM

I dont want to sound like a dumb@ss, but how does the 338 edge compare to a normal 338 win mag?

Same goes for 300rum vs 300 win mag.

These arent typical rounds here in europe.

I've looked into caribou hunts in canada, and hopefully some day it'll happen. If I go, I'll be taking my 30-06 loaded with heavy bullets. Everything I've read about the challenge of hunting caribou is the distance, not so much the need for raw killing power.

I could be wrong though because I've never hunted them, but I don't think you'd need more than you would to take a whitetail at whatever distance you practice at.

How many of the guys here have actually taken one?

I dont want to sound like a dumb@ss, but how does the 338 edge compare to a normal 338 win mag?

Same goes for 300rum vs 300 win mag.

These arent typical rounds here in europe.

Powder capacity is the main difference.

Hear is the average powder charges with the same weight bullet that acheive 100%
load densitys.

338 federal 45 to 47grs.
338/06 56 to 58grs.
338 Win mag 68 to 75 grs
330 Dakota 80 to 85grs.
340 Weatherby 87 to 90grs.
338 RUM 100 to 104grs.
338/300 RUM 102 to 107grs.
338 Lapua 102 to 107grs.
338/378 Weatherby 114 to 122grs.

Wildcats will vary a little based on brass and sholder design.

But maby this will help answer your question.

J E CUSTOM

I've hunted them with a 14 lb rig in Canada and it wasn't all that bad.

As far as caliber I'd say anything 6.5mm or larger with a high BC bullet. It doesn't take much to kill those animals, they aren't as tough as they look.

You can't go wrong with an Edge as the wind is going to be your biggest hurdle. It's very rare that the wind is less than 10-12 mph but it is consistent.

The 6,5-284 and 7mm rem mag and 264 win mag was on my list also

Thanks for the list J E, good info.

Last edited:
Thanks montanarifleman.

I would like to be able to buy factory brass. So I would like to get a cal that is easy to get brass for, meaning not having to change brass or such.
The biggest I hunt for long range is stags and bou.

Magman what cal did you use when hunting in canada?

Pretex,

Will you be loading your own ammo or buying factory ammo? If you are concerned about resizing the 338 Lapua to a .308 or 7mm neck It's relatively easy to that. but you will need custom dies for it. If you want only something you can get factroy ammo for, I would go with the 338 Lapua and you can send me all your used brass :D

For 1000 yd shooting you want a cartridge that can fore a high BC bullet at high velocity for downrange effectiveness. My criteria would be that the bullet has enough velocity to open and expand and enough momentum to fully penetrate. Depending on construction and size of the bullet you need a velocity somewhere in the range of 1500 - 1800 fps or higher. Your selection of factory loaded ammo that can do that will be limited and expensive.

Here is a list of standard factory cartrides that can shoot bullets to 1000 yds and effectively kill caribou and reigndeer.

7mm STW
7mm Wthby Mag
7mm RUM
300 RUM
300 Wthby Mag
30-378 Wthby Mag
338 WM (marginal performance at 1000 yds)
340 Wthby Mag
338 RUM
338 Lapua
338-378 Wthby Mag

Last edited:
Just seen this thread and would like to add.

YOU LUCKY SOB!!! Good job I was sitting behind a desk when I saw the photo, I would have embarrassed my myself other wise!!!

It surprised me to read that they are easy to put down.

If I ever convince the wife thats its not cold over there oh and the $$$$ I will be over there quicker than Santa with the Lapua! BIG IS GOOD.

I think they a stunning looking animal, could someone tell me do they taste any good?

Regards 300WSMMAD

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts