Best reticle for hunting in the west

wildcat westerner

Hello, in building a rifle for potential long range hunting in the Rockies, I realize itmakes no sense to create a weapon with a flat trajectory, if you cannot use it in hunting conditions. With the factors such as limited lighting both morning and evening, long distance and these damnable high winds at higher elevations make my choice of a scope, and its particular reticle very demanding.
The rifle of my choice is heavy, so that means my NightForces will not be used, due to their weight.
So, I am seeking a reticle, capable of being illuminated, in a lighter 30 mm scope. I,d really appreciate insight from experienced, succesful hunters in this regard.
Thank you, in advance.

Hello, in building a rifle for potential long range hunting in the Rockies, I realize itmakes no sense to create a weapon with a flat trajectory, if you cannot use it in hunting conditions. With the factors such as limited lighting both morning and evening, long distance and these damnable high winds at higher elevations make my choice of a scope, and its particular reticle very demanding.
The rifle of my choice is heavy, so that means my NightForces will not be used, due to their weight.
So, I am seeking a reticle, capable of being illuminated, in a lighter 30 mm scope. I,d really appreciate insight from experienced, succesful hunters in this regard.
Thank you, in advance.

Budget? SFP or FFP? Magnification range?

Budget? SFP or FFP? Magnification range?
Thank you, in advance.
Vx5hd with fire dot duplex

Something that has MOA or mil measurements on horizontal for holding for wind. Wind changes a lot in the mountains I prefer to hold for wind and dial for elevation. Luepold wind plex and tmoa reticle work very well for me.

Thanks for such quick replies, which I will be looking up to see exactly what they are.The idea of adjusting the turret for elevation and having your windage markings on the horizontal crosshair sounds quite practical. Having an illuminated dot or center of the crosshairs in low light situations seems almost mandatory. I know Leupold can burn a custom trajectory on their cds turrets for you. The windage factor is totally relevant here. I have missed a 8 foot sheet of plywood at 800 yards witha .284 with heavy bullets here. it would please me highly to go out in the wind here and shoot accurately at reasonable distances with consistency from the prone.

Personally I think Leupold Firedot Wind-Plex is the ideal reticle for a hunting rig. I personally don't want or need a Christmas tree type for my huntng rifles. Just some 1 MOA horizontal marks on the main crosshair for wind, anything over 350 yards I'm going to dial elevation. It's a shame they almost don't even offer it anymore. The TMOA is probably their next best thing for me, in illuminated.

Hello,

Thanks to your insight I have decided on the fire dot duplex in MOA. I just happen to have a Leupold 4.5 x14 and can convert it with a simple reticle change and other mods by that company. I appreciate all the time you have saved me. With all the different reticles on the market it could have been forever.

Gene S.

Gene
Dennis Hauser here.
I came across a letter/invitation you sent my mom in 1992 then started to look you up. Ill send you a message on the conversation board.
I just swapped out the Redfield scope you had mounted on my 10/22 in 1971 when I was 13 years old

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts