Best tall tripod for hunting?

Frankly I've struggled with shooting sticks despite a lot of time practicing with them. I own both the Bog and the Primos trigger sticks. They're okay out to 350 yards but I just can't seem to get a system and position down that is stable past that. It's frustrating. I'm not blaming the sticks but at this point I had to find another option.

I've just ordered the Reaper Grip similar to a Hog Saddle and will use it on my regular carbon fiber camera tripod.

I've scoured the web for videos on good positional setups for the aforementioned sticks and come up empty.

If anyone knows where I can find some video instruction I'd really like to have the link(s).

~Robert

Rob I am with you. I think maybe we have picked the best for backpacking and quick shooting. However, for sturdiness and shooting long range I need help. I have a Caldwell and it works great when sitting. It is heavy and takes some time to set up but allows you to get very steady. I am thinking about buying the taller model. I have seen Heavy AR's on the Hide held up by some tri-pod. What is the best answer for long range shooting?

I have three tri-pods. All work but...
Stone point, light but slow to set up
Bog-pod, bit heaver but sets up faster and I like the swivel head
Primos trigger stick, heaviest of the three but very fast to set up and if you need to readjust higher or lower it's just a quick squeeze of the trigger.
Of the three I use the Primos the most.

I just looked on the Hide to see what they were using for Long Range, Manfrotto and Really Right Stuff. They are spending thousands of dollars for these. Anyone have a solution for less?

The Reaper Grip came in this morning and I'm using it on one of our Gitzo carbon still tripods. So far just in the garage it's amazing but that doesn't count. I'll have it out tomorrow and for the next three weeks to practice with.

~Robert

I use a Big Bipod Buddy and a 25" Harris Bipod. It is very stable from a seated position.
I think seated, if possible, will be more stable than about any standing position.

Personally I have a bog pod and a stoney point and like both. I really don't have any complaints. They both do a great job. The bog pod has a lot of accessories to use. But, if I was going to buy one right now, I think I would go get a Primos trigger stick. They are just way too easy and faster to adjust with the terrain.

No doubt shooting seated is more stable. However, central Texas is the harshest environment I have hunted in. Every step must be calculated. And with the recent rain the weeds were tall. Standing was our only option. The Primos worked but we leaned on the Bad Boy to get even more stable on the longer shots( 200). Would be nice to have another option.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.