Using Photography Tripod for Hunting

MoreSalsa

For those hunting tripod experts out there, is there a good way to utilize a photography tripod as a hunting tripod, for rifle rest and a bino rest? If so, what would you suggest? The tripod is a carbon fiber Feisol with the standard screw sticking out of the base, and I also have a nice Markins ball head. So, I was thinking maybe instead of buying a whole new set-up, I'd be able to puck up a head that will hold a rifle and/or binos instead of a camera body.

I do not currently have a spotting scope but maybe someday.

I used an old photography tripod with a ~3x5" aluminum plate attached to the head last year. I set an Armageddon Gear Shmedium bag on the plate.

With the head I had both elevation and traverse. It was a very stable and accurate set up.

You might be thinking that you want a clamp screwed to the head, but I don't think you do. I came up with my set up after talking to Francis Colon, a respected PRS shooter. He steered me away from the clamp head triopds

Attachments

• A764712D-4373-415B-805C-A67E60C32578.jpeg
    A764712D-4373-415B-805C-A67E60C32578.jpeg
    922.4 KB · Views: 134
I used an old photography tripod with a ~3x5" aluminum plate attached to the head last year. I set an Armageddon Gear Shmedium bag on the plate.

With the head I had both elevation and traverse. It was a very stable and accurate set up.

You might be thinking that you want a clamp screwed to the head, but I don't think you do. I came up with my set up after talking to Francis Colon, a respected PRS shooter. He steered me away from the clamp head triopds
A shmedium is what I use, at the range and, if I have time to set up, in the field. I know it's blasphemy but I'm just not eager to jump into the bipod game, at least not just yet. So just throwing my shmedium onto the top of the tripod was my first thought but thought it just couldn't be that easy. So yeah, I was thinking I'd need a clamp or whatever I see the people on the Outdoor Channel using. The idea of a larger flat surface to rest it on is interesting though. It would be nice to be shooting off the same surface as I use at the range to avoid any POI change based on what I'm shooting off of.

I sight in at the range with the same set up.
What plate do you use? I started searching and seeing you can get a "cheese plate" that I think is designed for adding random stuff to a tripod (has a bunch of screw holes in it). Not sure if that is the best way to go.

What plate do you use? I started searching and seeing you can get a "cheese plate" that I think is designed for adding random stuff to a tripod (has a bunch of screw holes in it). Not sure if that is the best way to go.
Its just a piece of 1/4 aluminum plate that I drilled and tapped in the center for the head screw.

I stuck some foam tape on the top of the plate, which keeps the bag in place quite well

Last edited:
For those hunting tripod experts out there, is there a good way to utilize a photography tripod as a hunting tripod, for rifle rest and a bino rest? If so, what would you suggest? The tripod is a carbon fiber Feisol with the standard screw sticking out of the base, and I also have a nice Markins ball head. So, I was thinking maybe instead of buying a whole new set-up, I'd be able to puck up a head that will hold a rifle and/or binos instead of a camera body.

I do not currently have a spotting scope but maybe someday.
shop on E-bay for used save a lot of money, the second pic is a mini rail for stock,

Attachments

• 80040708_1236300623236973_3411636761099501568_o.png
    80040708_1236300623236973_3411636761099501568_o.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 46
  • e08352_707bc300cb8341578f9dfa03372ec55c~mv2_d_1792_1344_s_2.jpg
    e08352_707bc300cb8341578f9dfa03372ec55c~mv2_d_1792_1344_s_2.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Universal-Leveling-Base_2-01.png
    Universal-Leveling-Base_2-01.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 59
I have a heavy duty Bogen tripod that I used when I entered into the world of photography. I gave up on the photography but saved the tripod. Recently, I put a Hog Saddle on the top of the tripod. It holds bolt rifles and ARs securely and is easy to use. I set it up for hog hunting and was satisfied with how it all worked out. It was heavy but it didn't cost much to make it fit my need at the time.