Using a tripod for LR hunting

59FLH
Back after a weekend full of classroom instruction and shooting. Saturday was almost 4 hours James talking about types of riflescopes and their functions, shooting technique, calculating and reading wind speed and direction, bullets types with ballistics and retained velocity. Question were asked and well answered with no question too trivial. After lunch the first shooting session for almost 4 hours. There were 9 students so 5 shot first and the others spotting with a Barbour Creek gunsmith (Tim McWhorter) filling the spotting opening. Technique was gone over again, and off we went to our first target at 400 yards. By the end of the session, 1000 yard targets were being shot and kill areas hit with a high percentage of success. Day two was review of day one plus more information in the morning class then off to the range after lunch for more shooting. This time we started with 10 shots at a golf ball at 1000 yards. No one hit the ball, but many were within a half an inch or less. More wind reading went on during this session. After the 10 shots we shot multiple life size animal targets at varying distances. Wind reading, target distancing and dial up became more the responsibility of the shooter. After about 3 1/2 hours of shooting and critiquing from James, students were allowed to shoot their personal rifles with help from James and Tim on technique, things that could make their equipment better, and bullet discussion for their rifles. This lasted about 1 1/2 hours.
Sorry I got wordy, but even as long as this is I only covered a small amount. I have been shooting and reloading over 40 years and what I was still able to learn was amazing to me. I attended this class with my son and even though he is an accomplished shot I was concerned this might be too much. After the end of the second session, he immediately told me he wanted to go back for Level 2.
In summary, the shooting instruction was very good. The accommodations and food were comfortable and clean with plenty of good food.
I would recommend that if you have a high end spotting scope bring it. It would be better than some they have to read wind.
Bring your favorite adult beverage to sit out on the porch with at night and spend some interesting and informative time with fellow classmates in the evenings.
My personal opinion is to give it some time between the level 1 and level 2 class. They do give them back to back sometimes, but my opinion is you need the break to absorb what you're learned and upgrade any equipment that needs upgrading.
I hope this wasn't too long, but read all or none of it.
By the way, we are heading back the first of next year for level 2.

59FLH
Back after a weekend full of classroom instruction and shooting. Saturday was almost 4 hours James talking about types of riflescopes and their functions, shooting technique, calculating and reading wind speed and direction, bullets types with ballistics and retained velocity. Question were asked and well answered with no question too trivial. After lunch the first shooting session for almost 4 hours. There were 9 students so 5 shot first and the others spotting with a Barbour Creek gunsmith (Tim McWhorter) filling the spotting opening. Technique was gone over again, and off we went to our first target at 400 yards. By the end of the session, 1000 yard targets were being shot and kill areas hit with a high percentage of success. Day two was review of day one plus more information in the morning class then off to the range after lunch for more shooting. This time we started with 10 shots at a golf ball at 1000 yards. No one hit the ball, but many were within a half an inch or less. More wind reading went on during this session. After the 10 shots we shot multiple life size animal targets at varying distances. Wind reading, target distancing and dial up became more the responsibility of the shooter. After about 3 1/2 hours of shooting and critiquing from James, students were allowed to shoot their personal rifles with help from James and Tim on technique, things that could make their equipment better, and bullet discussion for their rifles. This lasted about 1 1/2 hours.
Sorry I got wordy, but even as long as this is I only covered a small amount. I have been shooting and reloading over 40 years and what I was still able to learn was amazing to me. I attended this class with my son and even though he is an accomplished shot I was concerned this might be too much. After the end of the second session, he immediately told me he wanted to go back for Level 2.
In summary, the shooting instruction was very good. The accommodations and food were comfortable and clean with plenty of good food.
I would recommend that if you have a high end spotting scope bring it. It would be better than some they have to read wind.
Bring your favorite adult beverage to sit out on the porch with at night and spend some interesting and informative time with fellow classmates in the evenings.
My personal opinion is to give it some time between the level 1 and level 2 class. They do give them back to back sometimes, but my opinion is you need the break to absorb what you're learned and upgrade any equipment that needs upgrading.
I hope this wasn't too long, but read all or none of it.
By the way, we are heading back the first of next year for level 2.
Thanks for coming. How did you like my wind reading technique?

i will be practicing over the next several months before returning. It is so accurate when you see the the mirage which was easier to see on day two, and I am sure will be even better on day 3 and up During practice. Also, thanks for ordering up that very unexpected rain shower so we could do live practice reading the rain.

i will be practicing over the next several months before returning. It is so accurate when you see the the mirage which was easier to see on day two, and I am sure will be even better on day 3 and up During practice. Also, thanks for ordering up that very unexpected rain shower so we could do live practice reading the rain.
See only being half Native American. I could only order half the rain and half the sun. Sorry.😂