Hunting off a tripod....

nksmfamjp

I read many folks are shooting off a tripod. Anybody put a short ARCA rail on their hunting rifle? I'm thinking about putting a 50-75mm ARCA rail ahead of my front action screw. Seems like I can get a short aluminum rail that mounts with 2 x 1/4-20 camera bolts and put some of those 3/8" to 1/4" threaded inserts into the stock and have lIke $20 into parts.

Henderson Precision gets $65 for theirs with spacers... Do I want or need that? They seem to have spacers that would glue in to strengthen the mounting platform.

i'm not interested In a longer rail at this point because it just moves me farther out of balance, right??

I had the dame question, I bit the bullet and put the Area 419 rails on all my rifles, bought the tripod and head to manage it all. Not sure if it was the right decision but ready to rock now.,

I like a tripod for precision shooting (interfaces with my MPA chassis), and am planning on adding a Henderson rail to my next hunting rifle. With my current set up I was able to easily shoot out to 1100 yards with a 6.5CM before I ran out of landscape. To me it is way more stable and versatile for shooting in adverse/rough terrain, and if you get an ARCA set up you could use that same tripod for glassing. I almost never shoot off a bipod unless the terrain is very forgiving or I am at the range. Not a huge fan of resting on the pack either.

I use and FLM Series II tripod and really like its weight and value for the money. I have previously used the Spartan Precision Equipment one and would avoid them (not ARCA anyways).

I'm in the process of retrofitting some rifles to work with tripod. Looking at putting this dovetail mount on a few guns. Prices aren't bad. Just gonna mount them an inch or so past the action screw, leave picatinny out front for bipod. Haven't decided which length yet, but probably just the shortest one, don't see a need for anything longer than the minimum to fit in the tripod head.

2.8" arca plate: https://soar.reallyrightstuff.com/MPR-73-SOAR-rail
4.5" arca plate: https://soar.reallyrightstuff.com/MPR-113-SOAR-rail
6" arca plate: https://soar.reallyrightstuff.com/MPR-1-SOAR-rail

I have a 3" Henderson ARCA rail on my hunting gun. I haven't hunted yet as it's new but I've taken it out to 600 yards and I am really happy with accuracy paired with the RRS tripod and anvil 30. I had manners put a short pic rail in front of the action and swapped it out with the Henderson.

I added area 419 arca rails to all my rifles
I splurged and bought a rrs tripod set up and its going with me everywhere
Wouldnt have been able to shoot my desert bighorn without it

I just took the plunge and bought a RRS 34L with anvil 30, man that thing is nice. And is compact, easily fits on the side of my PRS and hunting backpacks. It is gonna go everywhere with me going forward.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.