Anybody using ATVs for hunting?

I had one rip part of my face off near Gympie; first thing the ER doctor said was "Your modeling days are over." I had to have plastic surgery in Brisbane. Was visiting a friend's cattle ranch when it happened; had a buffalo hunt in NT the next week and that sure put a damper on it.
Ouch! I was a little worried that it might have happened to me when I scooped him up too....of course if it had...he would have been in the HAPPY HUNTING GROUNDS now! Glad it didn't...we are good Buddy's ....I named him Buddy!

My buddy is Finn, and the pup is Miss Lorena (Loree Darlin').....

IMG_8351.JPG

IMG_8105.JPG

Ouch! I was a little worried that it might have happened to me when I scooped him up too....of course if it had...he would have been in the HAPPY HUNTING GROUNDS now! Glad it didn't...we are good Buddy's ....I named him Buddy!
I will say I was impressed by the Australian health care system. I was in the hospital for two days, had two plastic surgeons and one anesthesiologist, and my ER bill. Total was $4300 US. Last October when I hit a coyote with my road bicycle I broke seven ribs, smashed my clavicle, and broke my scapula. Was in the hospital three days and had surgery to implant metal in my clavicle. Total bill was $94,000. Something is wrong with our health care system...

Attachments

• bike crash surgery.jpeg
    bike crash surgery.jpeg
    873.1 KB · Views: 116
  • rib breaks Oct 24 xray.png
    rib breaks Oct 24 xray.png
    96 KB · Views: 93
  • After Surgery for Dog Bite pic 2.JPG
    After Surgery for Dog Bite pic 2.JPG
    443.8 KB · Views: 122
I will say I was impressed by the Australian health care system. I was in the hospital for two days, had two plastic surgeons and one anesthesiologist, and my ER bill. Total was $4300 US. Last October when I hit a coyote with my road bicycle I broke seven ribs, smashed my clavicle, and broke my scapula. Was in the hospital three days and had surgery to implant metal in my clavicle. Total bill was $94,000. Something is wrong with our health care system...
Sweet Jesus....thank you for sharing! North America truly sucks when it comes to medicine...at least in Canada other than paying 2-350.00/ month everything like what you went thru is covered. I truly hope you have recovered well. Also hope you are right handed as it appears it's your left shoulder...you still should be able to shoot! Yes? Looks to be about 50+ sutures! I call the scars Character Lines! Be well!

I have a mountain bike, dirt bike, ATV, and UTV. All used at some point to access hunting areas depending on trails and restrictions. There are areas with a lot of single track and its steep country so I use my dirt bike. 50" or less atv trails I use the atv or bike. The UTV is for rough roads or jeep roads. That purchase was really for the wife, I was fine with the atv, but the UTV makes her much more happy. I have my atv set up well for comfort and carrying my gear so I often take it and the dog when I hunt solo. I enjoy using them to access areas were it is allowed and generally do a fair bit of hiking away from it down ridge lines, etc.

Yeeouch, hurts just to look at!đź‘Ť

I am 62 with both knees replace. I really want a ATV or a side by side if some sort for hunting. Problem that I see very very few places you can use them for hunting unless you own your own land or have permission to use them on private land. Here in the Midwest I don't see any public land listed in Iowa and surrounding states that allow them to be used on public land to hunt with. Am I wrong here ? I went to a Honda dealership Saturday in Iowa and looked at them. All the salesman did was right off the bat kept asking me if I owned my own land ….. red flag.
I let him ask the question 3 times in 5 minutes. Then I said any place in Iowa that I can use these things to hunt with on public land ?
He clammed up in a hurry. No answer.
I then asked him any place I can use them in the surrounding states still no answer. Then he walked away and left me standing there and went to a guy that just walked through the door with a John Deere hat on and bib overalls.
How to do you guys justify spending $5000.00 to $20,000 on them in these states with not owning your own land ? I am curious what states west of the Mississippi allows you to use them for hunting on public land ?
Thanks. Marty

I am 62 with both knees replace. I really want a ATV or a side by side if some sort for hunting. Problem that I see very very few places you can use them for hunting unless you own your own land or have permission to use them on private land. Here in the Midwest I don't see any public land listed in Iowa and surrounding states that allow them to be used on public land to hunt with. Am I wrong here ? I went to a Honda dealership Saturday in Iowa and looked at them. All the salesman did was right off the bat kept asking me if I owned my own land ….. red flag.
I let him ask the question 3 times in 5 minutes. Then I said any place in Iowa that I can use these things to hunt with on public land ?
He clammed up in a hurry. No answer.
I then asked him any place I can use them in the surrounding states still no answer. Then he walked away and left me standing there and went to a guy that just walked through the door with a John Deere hat on and bib overalls.
How to do you guys justify spending $5000.00 to $20,000 on them in these states with not owning your own land ? I am curious what states west of the Mississippi allows you to use them for hunting on public land ?
Thanks. Marty
There's not much public land in Nebraska either, and other than a few trails in the Pine Ridge and the NF by Thedford there's no place to ride them here. However, on the big ranch spreads where I hunt they are mostly preferred to a truck as they leave virtually no trace. The Sandhills are a fairly fragile ecosystem that's easily destroyed by making ruts up and down the hills.

Most moose hunting I do by boat, Caribou ATV but really anything that we can figure to get close to the areas we intend to hunt. A few years ago we added horses and are climbing up the learning curve on the horse department. Of the ATV's the 6x6s outperform many other motorized rigs in our country and they can almost climb like a goat loaded with whatever fits.
moose.jpg

I see that most people that are responding that they use these machines are from Canada , Alaska , or people that own their land to hunt on or farm on.
I would like to hear from ATV owners that use these machines on public land. Can you folks tell us what states are ATV friendly for using these machines while caring a firearm ? It would help us disabled guys from trying to type up emails to 50 states DNR depts. I will start off with Iowa and ILL as 2 states that have NO public hunting land that you can use a ATV like machines in any way MD

Last edited:
My experience is limited with hunting. Most places in Montana you can use them on any road, if you are street legal (excluding those closed at certain times of the year), and some of those roads I would rather take a SXS or ATV on instead of my truck. Also depends on the snow level and pressure. some snow you just need a truck with chains. We use the SXS throughout the summer and spring and hell even in the winter. There are times when I would love to take it out just to get closer and save some miles so I can hike in a little deeper.

I've used my ATV in northern Minnesota to hunt bear in a few years past. Guess you still can, I enjoyed driving it from our camp down the gravel roads to the public land dirt roads. Very fun driving slowly thru the water pools on some of the dirt roads. Hauled my bait in, bears out and my tree stands in and out over the years. So you might check out northern Minnesota. I have a Yamaha Grizzly, and still enjoy it around my own 3/4 acre property.