Anybody using ATVs for hunting?

Only way to get to n from my hunting grounds is on a 4-wheeler

ps... ignore facemask/gaiter, this was before the scamdemic, that is cause of the freakin black flies on the swamps, hellacious acres ! lol

E9FBD6BB-2130-49B0-AE49-59D3D9122426.jpeg
2FA9749D-49FB-4092-9F93-E7BEA7D07222.jpeg

I see that most people that are responding that they use these machines are from Canada , Alaska , or people that own their land to hunt on or farm on.
I would like to hear from ATV owners that use these machines on public land. Can you folks tell us what states are ATV friendly for using these machines while caring a firearm ? It would help us disabled guys from trying to type up emails to 50 states DNR depts. I will start off with Iowa and ILL as 2 states that have NO public hunting land that you can use a ATV like machines in any way MD
Here in Tennessee we use them a lot I have spoken to several game wardens about it and they are much more relaxed, the law states only on named or numbered roads in public hunting land or management areas. my game warden has told me he does not want anyone having a heart attack dragging out a deer on his watch and they will not bother you coming out of the woods as long as you have a deer on the back

I see that most people that are responding that they use these machines are from Canada , Alaska , or people that own their land to hunt on or farm on.
I would like to hear from ATV owners that use these machines on public land. Can you folks tell us what states are ATV friendly for using these machines while caring a firearm ? It would help us disabled guys from trying to type up emails to 50 states DNR depts. I will start off with Iowa and ILL as 2 states that have NO public hunting land that you can use a ATV like machines in any way MD

Wyoming! Literally 1000's of miles of atv/utv trails/roads available! The national forests do have the usual width restrictions. Also, many smaller, more remote roads/trails get closed to any vehicular traffic in the late fall! memtb

I have 2000 acres lease of crop, timber, and swamp in NC. Most older guys use something! They really help for the drag. I can usually drive within 3-400 yd in woods, regardless of conditions. Find non EtOH gas.

I use one to get to my "Trail Head" where I start my hiking from, and I use it to pack out meat back to the truck. I don't use it to hunt or scout from. Know the rules in the states you intend to use it in, I know some have width restrictions which rule out utility/side by sides. Saw one guy get arrested by Game Wardens as he was trying to negotiate around the two posts that restrict the width of the vehicles entering the trails in Colorado.

Attachments

• stelprdb5437261.pdf
    465.8 KB · Views: 290
Yup, watch out for those width restrictions ---

I see guys with souped up razors blast up the trails super fast and SUPER loud-- then wonder why they never see game.

I have a 4x4 350 with winch that will pretty much get me darn near anywhere--- I still hike in after the trails stop but it helps get the meat back down to the truck.

I just wish I could make it whisper quiet. I talked to cpw about electric vehicles and they said as of right now they still seem to alert game just like an atv-- they thought the game animals can hear the high frequency electric motors better than our human ears can

Some state have restrictions on use of them. Limited to like 48" wide. Other states wants a fee to use the ATV or UTV in their states. I kind of wonder if that even legal. (Due the 14th Amend) Being My ATV is licenses for street use also and insured. I use it to drive over the road that pickups can go on mostly They are faster to travel the back roads. I know that AZ wants a fee to use ATV in their state. Plus most of the land is Forest or BLM which have their rules. They do tear up the roads, but so do pickups and stupid drivers.

I am 62 with both knees replace. I really want a ATV or a side by side if some sort for hunting. Problem that I see very very few places you can use them for hunting unless you own your own land or have permission to use them on private land. Here in the Midwest I don't see any public land listed in Iowa and surrounding states that allow them to be used on public land to hunt with. Am I wrong here ? I went to a Honda dealership Saturday in Iowa and looked at them. All the salesman did was right off the bat kept asking me if I owned my own land ….. red flag.
I let him ask the question 3 times in 5 minutes. Then I said any place in Iowa that I can use these things to hunt with on public land ?
He clammed up in a hurry. No answer.
I then asked him any place I can use them in the surrounding states still no answer. Then he walked away and left me standing there and went to a guy that just walked through the door with a John Deere hat on and bib overalls.
How to do you guys justify spending $5000.00 to $20,000 on them in these states with not owning your own land ? I am curious what states west of the Mississippi allows you to use them for hunting on public land ?
Thanks. Marty
I can tell you that Iowa does not allow. I use my Ranger 570 for work around the place.

I have 2 depending on the situation.

Attachments

• ATV.JPG
    ATV.JPG
    487.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Jim Adrindacks & Jeep.JPG
    Jim Adrindacks & Jeep.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
  • PICT0017 ATV ME .JPG
    PICT0017 ATV ME .JPG
    906.3 KB · Views: 37
  • hunt05 011.jpg