Anybody using the .284win

.284 Win

That article and associated load/ballistic table is one of the reasons I want to rebarrel to one. The other caliber I am considering is the 280 AI. That would offer me another step up on the ballistic ladder. For me to shoot the VLD design in the 284, LA seems to be the only way to go. The downside to me is the cost for brass with the 280 AI. I should rephrase that; to get premium brass, the 280 is at a cost disadvantage. Natchez has RWS 280 brass, but it is over $25 for 20. Lapua 6.5-284 brass is $12 for 20. Either way I have to alter the brass, but the 284 is easier. I just have not made up my mind personally that the AI is worth the difference in start-up cost. I could just use Nosler or WW 270 brass and do just fine.

I don't even know what I am talking about anymore. The .284 is a fine round, but I cannot pick one over another just yet at least.

I have a custom 284 and really like it. The short action allows a really light rifle if you want. If you go with a long action, you might as well go with the 280AI. Using a short action (modified with a longer box magazine to allow 2.950 OAL) gives you all the velocity that the 284 has to offer. Using a long action is not justified with the 284. You can get a 140 gr bullet(best weight for the case capacity) around 3,000 fps+. Accuracy is excellent with a good barrel. Don't go too light with your barrel, as it will really effect your accuracy. Better to lose weight in your action, stock, etc with a little heavier barrel if you plan on a lightweight rifle. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

With the 2.950" OAL rounds, can you eject them from a SA? I agree with what you said about the LA, and that is my concern because I don't really need to push 162s at 3k for East TX deer. The 140s at 3k would be kryptonite enough.

I'm using a short action 700 set in a PSS stock. It is
a single shot right now. How Do I modify the magazine if
I decide to go that route.
Thanks
Shotwell

[ QUOTE ]
I'm using a short action 700 set in a PSS stock. It is
a single shot right now. How Do I modify the magazine if
I decide to go that route.
Thanks
Brownell's sell a Wyatt's extended magazine box for the Rem short action I'm having one installed in my rifle to handle the 284 case.

With the Wyatt's extended mag box from Brownell, you can eject rounds without modification to the ejection port. You do need to modify the bottom of the action to accept the longer box. I had mine lengthened towards the trigger group so that the front of the box was in the same location in the action. This eliminated the third bedding screw from the SA Remington receiver, but who needs three? My stock is a blind box so I cut off a screw head and epoxied it into the front of the trigger guard. Works great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have a Browning 78 in .280 AI and like it very well. I also enjoy a 6.5X284 and have found it to be extremely accurate. I would probably go with the 6.5 rather than the .284 and the only advantage I find at the moment would be based on what rifle you want to use... as the 280AI requires a longer action than the 6.5X284 or the 284 left to the 7mm. bullet. If I was hunting bigger game I would use the 280 v. the 6.5..... both shoot fine out to 1000 metres (haven't tried the 6.5 past that yet) -- but I would not really want to hunt anything with that size bullet at that distance... I would want to use something "fast" in a .338.... LRB

Shotwell, You didn't say what caliber your SA Remington is now. If you are using a 308 size case now, you need to also order from Brownell a Remington follower for the 300 RSAUM. This follower is wide enough to allow the extra width of the 284 case. Otherwise, your rounds will pop out of the magazine since they don't bottom out correctly. DO NOT modify your rails, since the follower change is all that is required. You will need to call Brownell and talk to a tech. They have the 300 SAUIM follower in their parts list, but not in the regular catalog. I bought one last year and instantly solved my feeding problems. FYI. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I have a custom 284 and really like it. The short action allows a really light rifle if you want. If you go with a long action, you might as well go with the 280AI. Using a short action (modified with a longer box magazine to allow 2.950 OAL) gives you all the velocity that the 284 has to offer. Using a long action is not justified with the 284. You can get a 140 gr bullet(best weight for the case capacity) around 3,000 fps+. Accuracy is excellent with a good barrel. Don't go too light with your barrel, as it will really effect your accuracy. Better to lose weight in your action, stock, etc with a little heavier barrel if you plan on a lightweight rifle. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ] The Wyatt box magazine for the rem short action allows a 3.060 OAL for the 284. This is my first with a med 700 action in 284 and may be my last if velocity isn't there with 150gr bullets. If you took a 280 case and filled it with H-4831sc it hold appr 64gr to the top of the case the 284 holds 62.5gr getting the bullets out in the 284 is the key. I have a 6x284 and 6.5x284 on long actions. I just rebarreled my old rem 7mm express made it into a 300mag has a Lilja barrel taking it up for a late season cow hunt. I have nothing againt the 280 but just like the 284 case better. I had a #1 rebarreled into a 284 did that about 25yrs ago was a really deadly rifle with 145gr bullets wore the barrel out. Just my .02

Roper, What velocity are you trying to reach with the 150?? From reports and my own experience, more OAL is going to give you little gain in the 284 case. Yes, you will use more powder, but the overall increase will not be as dramatic as one thinks and hopes. The expansion ratio in the case will not support 280 AI velocities. It will be interesting to see your results. More barrel length helps, but that is true in any cartridge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts