Anybody using the 6.5-280Ai

backwoods hunter

I have been considering the 6.5-280AI for some time now. What do you guys think of yours? How is the accuracy, is it a finicky round. I would like to hear your thoughts on it.

I don't have a 6.5-280 AI but something similar that holds a little more powder. I designed a 6.5 case based on the .270. The shoulder is 40 degrees but is moved further forward and less taper in the body. It has the same case capacity as the WSM. I've only had it a couple of months but have shot it quite a bit. It seems to like a variety of the slow burning powders and shoots everything sub minute. My best groups so far are 1/4'' but have only tryed bergers so far. The MV is VERY impressive (some powders reaching 3200+) although groups are better around 3100. I have fired the same cases 10 times now and still have tight primer pockets. The velocities I quoted are from a 26" barrel!....Rich

I have a 280 AI, not the 6.5. I like the selection of 7mm bullets better. It started life as a 300WM Savage 110 hinged floor plate. The barrel is a McGowen #5 26". If I do my part. .25 moa or less @ 100 yards. The recoil is similar to a 270. Its my go to hunting rifle. Its very accurate.

Untitled-2.jpg

Regards Mike

Just build a 6.5-284, good speed, factory Lapua brass, excellent accuracy, cheaper dies, hard to beat.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.