Best rig for hunting these!

300WSMMAD

I am going hunting in august. If you ever get your wife convinced and come over here, you can use my gun for hunting. One week stay and 1 licens for a bigbuck will cost you 1600 $.
Then comes the plain ticket and food, dont know what that'll run ya.

I cant recall tasting them, but told its good meat.

Hmm maybe I did 10 - 15 years ago in greenland....:rolleyes:

Pretex, the meat is very tasty. It's higher than Elk on my list of favorites. Most generally if you go with an outfitter you will have at least one meal of freshly killed Caribou.

Which outfitter are you hunting with?

My dad, uncle and I went last Sept and had the time of my life! I was using a Remmy 700 SPS Varminter in .308 shooting 168gr Winchester Ballistic Silvertip factory ammo. I sighted in for 200 yd (what they recommended), but wound up shooting mine at @ 50 and 75 yards! :D Both spun in circles a couple times and then dropped....but like always, shot placement was good and got double lung for both...then again, at that distance I better have gotten a good shot lol Other guys were shooting .308, .30-06, .270, and .270 Weatherby and all of them dropped what they hit. I think for us the longest shot was around 250 yards, but we were not on flat tundra so we would boat up the river/lake and then sneak up and shoot them when they were walking right by us. We had awesome guides that we had tons of fun with and knew the land literally like the back of their hand.

Meat is absolutely awesome! I fried up some tenderloin and brought it into work and no one knew it wasn't beef. In fact a couple women got mad when I told them that they were eating Rudolph right before XMas :p

I've never done Elk, but always wanted too....just too **** expensive! Only reason went on this trip was my Dad won the trip and kept stalling so I could save up enough to join him. MAKE SURE YOU BRING WARM WATERPROOF CLOTHING!!!!!!!!!

Take it from me, keep track of your camera when you get back! I lost my camera when my Dad and I were driving back from Montreal to NC. So luckily I had some of the other guys that were there from our camp site, as well as my dad and uncle take some. But I lost all of my kill shots from both of mine which could almost make a grown man cry! Luckily my mounts will be here from the taxidermist hopefully next month:D

Greywolf18,
That was an awesome hunting report, but you left out the outfitters name. A link to their website would be even better.

Just seen this thread and would like to add.

YOU LUCKY SOB!!! Good job I was sitting behind a desk when I saw the photo, I would have embarrassed my myself other wise!!!

It surprised me to read that they are easy to put down.

If I ever convince the wife thats its not cold over there oh and the $$$$ I will be over there quicker than Santa with the Lapua! BIG IS GOOD.

I think they a stunning looking animal, could someone tell me do they taste any good?

Regards 300WSMMAD

Had a caribou beef stick at the sportsman show in Harrisburg, PA. Very tasty if I should say.

Tank

In my opinion and my families caribou is the best that we have tried and Ive brought back 4 of them. Better than moose,elk ,deer etc. And that aint merinading it to death either. I hunted with Club Chambeaux and Safari Nordik.
My choice if I was going this year would be Richard Hume. Seems to be a straight up guy. You gotta be careful with these outfitters and dont book too far in advance. Pay the money and go.
I've shot all of mine with a 300 WM but next time will be the "edge" to really reach out there. I ve seen some really big bulls at really big distance. Wish I had the equipment and the knowhow back then.

Grin

Greywolf18,
That was an awesome hunting report, but you left out the outfitters name. A link to their website would be even better.

The outfit that we went with was Labrador Outdoors (www.bigstag.com). They were the ones that donated the hunt to NAHC which my dad won. They were great to work with, and they had no problem pushing the dates back for a couple years in a row due to deployments (I'm in the military). We were lucky enough to stay in one of their better cabins, but others where in the normal camp setups. I would highly recommend them especially our guide Richard. We were worried because when we flew in the group before us only had small racks and 2 of the guys said they did not see a caribou the whole week! We were all very worried hearing and seeing this from the previous hunters. However, I was first to tag out and it only took me just under 3 days. I saw one, but too far off....I hadn't found this site yet so the 800 yd was a bit much for me :p The next day I got a nice one, and then the following morning, I got my 2nd one within an hour of leaving the base camp after breakfast! Both of mine were double shovels, and will be on my wall hopefully soon! :D Our group of 6 had tagged it with 2 days still left of hunting to go. I used the rest of the time trying to fill a bear tag, but only saw one bear but once again was too far off for me. We thought that the group before us either were doing something wrong or just weren't paying attention because they were passing by around 200 yd from our base camp! The guides said that the main heard just hadn't gotten there yet, and we caught them at the right time. I would definately go again, but for now I'm saving to finally go on an elk trip....in another 5 years, or sooner if the wifey ever wins powerball lol :D:D

Sounds good. Thanks for the outfitters name. It amazes me how expensive it can be to go hunt caribou. It just doesn't seem like it should cost that much, but I guess it does.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.