Best Fur load?

Jackie, my wife, wants me to send them in and have them tanned. Two bobcats and one kit fox............I had them in the garage and she insisted that I bring them into the house......................We have deer horns an euro Antelope mount a Mule Deer head and an Elk Head and we are having a Bear Skull done ..................Its what she likes.
Im more of a Varmint Chukar hunter but this year she insisted that I go up to Idaho to hunt with her Dad and brother. They live right on the Idaho, Montana Boarder........................was told that we need a deer in the Freezer.

She's the type of gal that if I told her we are going to move to northern Idaho, she would be packed and ready in three days..........................

You're a blessed man, Greg! The value of those 'cats would probably cover a pretty nice semi-custom rifle. My last big tom grossed $1040.00 but that was before the Chinese import market imploded.

Greg, I have not see you around in awhile. did you retire yet? I'm waiting for cold weather to get some pelts. I would be interested in tagging along on one of your hunts.

I don't even own a pee shooter anymore. I used a 22-250 extensively back then 26 inch bull barrel firing 75 grain hpbt's. I never had a dog stop the bullet. My hunting buddy was a 6mm rem. man 72 grain HP his reasoning was he never had an exit hole or if you did it was shrapnel pin holes out the far side.

So I moved up to 243 with a 26 inch Rem Varminter SPS Dogs are dead on the spot with they 3600 fps 72 grain or 75

243 bullets for coyote hunting - Bing Videos

243 Win Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com

Bublight......................No im still in Prison but I will be up for parol in four years................then I have no idea of what I will do.

I shot a 6mm for years using a 75gr HP I have my doughts about it on Coyotes....................I have way to much respect for them to blow huge exit holes in them. Right now I using a 17 Hornaday Hornet reloading with the 23gr Woodchuk Den bullets. We will see. I can also load up the 20gr V Max with Vit N120 to about 3750fps..............out to 100yds it should work great with a well placed shot............................

Im looking at the Cooper MDL 38 in the 17 Hee Bee............as maybe my next rifle, or the 17 Tactical..........pusing a 25gr Gold at about 4200fps.

The .243 is no Fur load............................Those who want to blow huge holes in Coyotes have no respect for them.........................Sorry, but I do. They deserve better than that................

The .243 is no Fur load............................Those who want to blow huge holes in Coyotes have no respect for them.........................Sorry, but I do. They deserve better than that................
I agree i can't hunt them when the fur is not good( unless a rancher needs help), to me leaving a hide is like shooting a deer or elk and just taking the antlers.shooting them when they have pups I don't like for myself.but I don't condem others.

We've got a rancher here where I work that has to hire coyote control when his cows are starting to birth in numbers. The dogs are attracted to the smell of the blood and even though the mothers are extremely protective, they take a serious hit each year as calves are killed in some pretty ridiculous numbers. I know that he would ask that any den on his property have any yote killed, pup or not. I used to have string opinions opposing this... However, after seeing what they are capable of, I have since changed my mind. If I were him, I'd have the same stance.

I agree with predator control with issues of Calf loss. I had a Rancher do a drop camp for me in Eastern Nevada who had a huge loss of his Spring Calf drop. He paid a trapper to come in a trap them. He told me that the trapper took out over 300 coyotes that fall winter and spriing.
Its the same thing with Ground Squirrels on Alfalfa Fields during the Spring...........I spend hours shooting them.

What Im refering to is when someone shoots Coyotes, especially durng the early fall when the pups are out on their own just to see howmany they can kill. Shooting them and walking off. Coyotes play a vital role in Nature and deserve our respect. I think we would all be at a huge losss it they were eradicated. I enjoy just seeing them, watching them.

Anyone who has been out during the summer hiking around has run into a littler of pups that are about 16 weeks old looking at you over a sage bush about 40 yards away and then to see someone kill them ......................I have to really hold back from what I want to say to them.........................

But I do agree that when a Rancher is loosing a lot of Calves to coyotes thats different ...................our Government is doing everything they can to eliminate Ranchers......................we need to stand up for them.

Yeah... I hear you. It sort of made me sick to my stomach seeing all those dead calves after which I offered to help him clear some particularly ornery yotes that had take up residence in a field less than a mile from his home. Later that summer, my nephew and I went out and setup, only to have three pups come out of the sage... Just playing around and checking out the world. We debated on it for a good bit before we decided to take care of the problem. I'll be quite candid and say I didn't feel good about it, nor did my nephew, but it's hard to tell a guy you'll help him resolve a problem and then allow it to exist right under your nose. We did clear that den, and it hasn't been repopulated in the 2 subsequent years. I honestly haven't ever discussed it since... With my nephew, brother, son or wife. I can say that this type of job isn't for me though. Although I understand how Kinyon felt, I'm not the guy to take care of it for him. It was the last time we hunted his property. Perhaps if it was my animals those yotes were killing... I wouldn't bat an eye at putting down any yote that crossed my glass... But that isn't the case and it did leave a bad taste in my mouth. Killing young animals isn't my cup of tea... But I can understand it. If I told Kinyon how I felt... He'd say... What if they were rats... Or ants... Mosquitoes etc and would think I'm soft... So I just told him the den was clear... and that's been the end of it.

Shooting pups would be hard for me,one of the sheep guys that Ihad property I hunted on used to tell me how he would get them out of their dens and kill them,not something I would do

Most of us have a big connection to our hunting partners...............our dogs. There is a big difference between a Rat and a Puppy....................I dont have issues with Ground Squirrels, but for the life of me I just could not shoot a coyote pup.
I totally understand the issue with a Rancher and his Calfs. The Rancher I was dealing with told me that a Coyote will follow a Cow around knowing she is about the drop the calf and eat it when it hits the ground.........

Some years ago I went to a siminar about Coyote Depredation with Sheep. The Wildlife Dept was there, sheep ranchers, cattle ranchers, and PETA, Environmental groups.................The Biologists said that in their studies its the Dominate Male or Female that does the killing of the Domestic sheep or Cattle. Kill the Dominate Males and the calf and sheep loss will go down..........

One Peta women ask why we cant just catch the Male coyotes and casterate them.................
Some old Sheep herder got up and told her.

" Hey, the Coyotes are eating the sheep not screwing them"

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.