Best Fur load?

Greg Duerr

I have now talked with two Fur hunters that swear by the .223 shooting the Sierra
69gr HPBT MatchKing.

Now these guys are not basing there opinions on five or six examples but hundreds. One guy from Texas shoots an average of 100 Coyote and Bobcats a year. He hunts with the value of Fur in mind and makes his living doing this. I would guess that if your making your living collecting fur with a rifle you know what works and what does not. Most guys base there opinions on four or five animals. What I was told is you get a .224 hole in and a .224 hole out...........................
Now im sure they keep their range within reasonable distances. What I hear is that most guys want a fur friendly Load that will reach out to 500yds..............and then when you hit one and he gets a way you blame the load................you cant ever blame the load if one gets away because you have no idea of where you hit him.
I still lean towards the 17's and this year for Gray Fox and Bobcats I will be trying the 17 Hornady Hornet......................shooting a 23gr Woodchuck Den bullet at about 3500 but then I don't plan on doing any long range shooting and besides when Im calling I usually wait until they are close.

Tried the 17 Hornet on coyotes last season and lost 4, decided to go with the 17 Remington this season and plan on using the 25gr golds and may even try the 30s once I get a feel for the rifle.

What is your experience shooting the .204 and the 40gr V-Max? Are you talking three or four coyotes or 40 or 50? Im not concentrating on Coyotes. Out here in Nevada the average price for one Cat was $450 The cats I have called in came in really close. I would have to guess that a 204 would blow a big exit hole in one.........But then I have taken some really big Cats.

Im sure that shooting a coyote with a 17 Hornet some might get away. For Fur im not going to load the 20gr V Max but the 23gr Woodchuck Den at 3500 using N 120 The thing about hitting a coyotes that gets away is that you don't know where you hit him.......................But then I have hit coyotes with a 22-250 that blew one big exit hole and he ran 100 yds.................they are tuff little buggers.

Here's my take on fur loads, Greg:

Fur Loads

You are absolutely right about needing to sample a large number of coyotes but that may or may not be the same as you will find under your circumstances. My goal is the same as Dan's--no exit. But, that's at calling ranges so when you add LR shots, you may have to use a stouter bullet or a second load. There may be some ideas in the article that are of interest. Good luck!

I think that for Fur your NOT going to be taking long range shots at Coyotes..............Most all the Cats that I call are pretty close by the time you see them, not all but MOST.........................

17 Rem with 25gr Berger Match gets my vote for up to 300 yards.

Have yet to see an exit on 25 coyotes or so... (most shots have been 50-200 yards)

Good choice, YD, as is the .204R with 35 grain Bergers mentioned above, .223 with a 60 grain V-max (I'd tone that down to a 55 grain for 'cats), .243 with 58 grain V-max or a .243 AI with 65 grain V-max, etc. Bullet construction in relation to velocity is the key. It is a fine line though. You are asking the bullet to do a very specific task. Change the questions (species, relative size of the species in your area, time of year, etc) and the answer can change. Get the right combination and it's magic.

What 25gr bullelt are you shooting ........................and what is your velocity?

What Rifle is your 17 in hows your accuracy.

Im looking at one, Would like to know how the Remington 700's shoot.......

Saw a new in the box Remington 700 Classic 17 Rem but the owner had no idea of the twist rate...............................

tt35 said it best. Varmint caliber loads classified as "perfect" for these "different" situations, are hard to come by. And then its splitting hairs at that point.

Mine is a mid 1970s 700. My dad has passed it on to me. It was purchased for his Fox/Coyote rifle when furs were high dollar.

1 in 9" twist
25gr Berger Match Target
3,920 fps
RL-15

Shooting 3 shot groups at 5/8 or 1/2 on a good day.

I switched to the 30gr Golds last year because the Berger's listed above are discontinued.

Did you do any after market work on the gun...............i was under the impression that the older 17's were 1x10.

there are a few out there and most want $1000 for them...................

I dont like taking shots past 250 have looked at the Coopers in 17 Hee Bee and 17 Fireball..........................Wish they would come out with a 17 Tactical.

My understanding is the first few years(2-4) had the 1 in 10.
I had a smith free float the barrel and set trigger to 2 1/2 lbs.

Its is a blast to shoot. Was calling bobcats last winter when a coyote showed up and dropped him at 17 yards. Was a bang flop! Has been a standard for this rifle.

I believe you can buy the CZ varmint for round $700 in 17 Remington. And the Nosler brass is well made if you reload....

I have a 17 Tac being built. (will shoot 30gr Kindler Golds)
Stiller Predator Action
PacNor Sendero Contour 1 in 9" SS Super Match barrel (24")
McMillan Game Scout
Timney Trigger

Will use 17 rem for fox and bobcats and 17 Tac for the song dogs.

Hard to leave the 243 win at home though:)

Curious, but how does your 17 Rem perform on the smaller Female cats do you still get exit holes? I shot two huge Toms last year with a 22 Mag............I will try a 17 Hornet this year shootiing the 23gr Woodchuck Den's
I hunt an area that is full of Gray Fox and Cats few if any Coyotes............In the Rimrock Juniper country a Coyote will show up at times....................If they come in early I let them go............................

I can not comment on how the 17 Rem performs on bobcats. Have only shot one and that was with my 243:D I have some very promising country for calling them this season...

I believe fox are similar in size to small cats and performance should be very close. I cannot recall any fur damage on the fox that I have shot with this caliber.

I will be posting pictures and details of performance by 17 Rem & 17 Tac in the next few months.

Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.