Fur Friendly Bullet?

Try sierra match king hp. Ive had good luck with them.

The age old problem on a do all rifle......I would try a heavy for caliber, non tipped Barnes mono, as heavy as you can stabilize. I did this with a 243 awhile back and the couple I shot seemed to pencil through well. Maybe I just got lucky, I haven't shot many coyotes since than and the ones I have I used a .223. I did pick up some 130 grain Barnes to try in my .260 but haven't yet......ever other bullet I have tried in that blows them up on exit. Good luck!

No bullet is fur friendly 100 percent of the time . If you want to run the 6.5 find a full metal jacket you may have to look for a few of the coyote as the bullets usually just pass through and don't open up in and out the same size normally .

I've had decent results with vmax ... hornady has a 95gr vmax in 6.5mm ... you'll need to load them to run fast though as the slower the vmax go, the slower and/or less they tend to expand which could cause a large exit hold ... run them fast enough and they will disintegrate internally with no exit ...

You'll have to experiment though ...

Oh - and one other thing ... the BC on the 95gr vmax 6.5 sucks ... if you're trying for long range, you will need to move down to 6mm and load up some 87gr vmax ... even then, you'll only get .400 on the bc.

No bullet is fur friendly 100 percent of the time . If you want to run the 6.5 find a full metal jacket you may have to look for a few of the coyote as the bullets usually just pass through and don't open up in and out the same size normally .

I have an old friend who has used FMJ 223 ammo to hunt turkeys for years. It passes right through. Small entry hole, small exit hole. Very little meat damage. I would expect the same for you shooting a coyote with a 6.5 FMJ. Also, (VERY important) if DSheetz is talking about coyote hunting pay close attention; and listen respectfully. Everyone else does!

Johnny

Wow! So many using clubs for Coyotes, Here in the Northeast we have really big Coyotes. I started hunting them with a .222 Remington 788. Shots at 200 yds + I had to track, twice the bullet just blew up at the front shoulder. When the .223 WSSM came out I bought Browning A-bolt and started reloading 64 grain Winchester Power Points on top of Varget and never had to track a Coyote again.

I've shot many coyotes using my 264 win mag, using a swift scirocco in 130 grain. No blow-up at all. Small hole in-small hole out. A 6.5 cm would do the same exact thing.
This is the answer I was looking for, I've got more guns, but I've been using my 6.5 CM for deer,Elk,Antelope, at both long and short ranges, The gun is more accurate than I am, but I've dropped Elk at 500 yds., and 15 yds, mule deer at 30 ft. and 450 yds, Soo its been great at both long and short range and on Big and medium size game, I wouldnt mind if the bullet whistled through a coyote and run off, the pencil in and pencil out would be ideal, I've sewn many hides, but when I'm out here in Montana, hunting or trapping My 6.5 is with me in case of a wolf ,coyote, bonus shows up. A spare mag with some fur friendly bullets makes sense to me, I'm not one to use a sledge hammer for finish carpentry but my favorit gun is gonna be with me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.