Fur Friendly Bullet?

I have shot them with a 140 ELDM, one time the hole out isnt too bad, but when large bones are encountered its rugged. Shot one last year that was running straight at me @ 50 yards in the chest, wonderful cartwheel and no exit...............she would not stop to barks.
Most fur friendly calibers are considerably smaller than 6.5, that is why I went to a .204 ruger

Use a smaller gun.

Asking for a fur friendly bullet on small game with a cartridge designed for medium-big game is asking a lot. It will be a gamble on every shot, some maybe fine and the next will cut it in half. Your best option would probably be a copper bullet, however, don't expect much in regards to dead right there. It's a give and take.

Good luck,
Steve

Or a heavy, low expansion bullet. I used to use a 30-06 with 180 grain bullets and had little expansion. Pencil hole in and pencil hole out. I do not remember what bullet make as it has been many moons ago.

Have you ever tried to make your cat bark? Or your dog meow? Or your deer rifle (6.5CM) not blow up coyotes?

Your question borders on being a trick question (hence, the humorous beginning).

Can your question be answered? Possibly...but I sense a lot of reloading experimentation to try to make your long-range deer rifle submit into being a short-range "fur friendly" coyote rifle.

It's your "fur friendly" stipulation that throws a 'monkey wrench' into the equation, especially using the 6.5CM. (My dog almost choked to death on his last meow try.)

Easiest (and probably the cheapest) solution is:

Let your 6.5CM deer rifle shoot deer. (Bark, bark says my dog.)

Use a coyote rifle to shoot coyotes. A 22-250 or a measly 223, (either one would work), load 'em up with a frangible bullet at normal velocities. This might be a little much for a fox or a bobcat that happens by, (probably dropping down to a 17WSM/204 Ruger would be more "fur friendly" for them), but shoot them anyway, with whatever you got. One less coyote/fox/bobcat walking around is the goal.

Conclusion...I hope my humorous interjections didn't affend you...it was to make my point:

Shoot deer with a deer rifle.
Shoot coyotes with a coyote rifle.

Blessings in your coyote quest!

Last edited:
I like the Nosler 100gr ballistic tip. In my area coyotes stay outside of 400 yards of pickup trucks and people. They are mostly shot at with medium power scoped AR-15 or Ruger Ranch rifles shooting military ammo. Coyotes think they are safe at 400 yards from their enemies. A 6.5 rifle with a powerful scope from a good rest or bipod prone can shoot at 500 yards and further. The Nosler Ballistic tips in 6.5 are "big game" bullets and have heavily constructed jackets. I have not had one open up from the .264 Winchester magnum at 3600 fps (pedestrian, meaning it will go faster). I shot a North facing and South facing coyote with the same shot and the bullet did not open on the first but did on the second. Reloader 17 in the 6.5 Creedmore should get the hundred grain bullets to go at least 3200. I have a 28 inch barrel on my 6.5 Creedmore.

I'm looking for a fur friendly round for my 6.5 CM, Factory or reload. Mainly coyote.

As several have already made known is you may have too much gun/cartridge for the specified game animal. But if you don't have a variety selection for other options (i.e., you don't own many guns...happens to a lot of us when starting out or raising a family...priorities), you need to run what you brung, as the saying goes.
That said, if you are anchored to the one caliber, a "certain" bullet is whatever you have BUT aim specifically for a head shot.
Not the ideal option if the animal is running or doesn't present the shot, but it is a sure method to keep from ruining a nice pelt.
As long as you do your part in launching the round.
Good Luck.

Have you ever tried to make your cat bark? Or your dog meow? Or your deer rifle (6.5CM) not blow up coyotes?

Your question borders on being a trick question (hence, the humorous beginning).

Can your question be answered? Possibly...but I sense a lot of reloading experimentation to try to make your long-range deer rifle submit into being a short-range "fur friendly" coyote rifle.

It's your "fur friendly" stipulation that throws a 'monkey wrench' into the equation, especially using the 6.5CM. (My dog almost choked to death on his last meow try.)

Easiest (and probably the cheapest) solution is:

Let your 6.5CM deer rifle shoot deer. (Bark, bark says my dog.)

Use a coyote rifle to shoot coyotes. A 22-250 or a measly 223, (either one would work), load 'em up with a frangible bullet at normal velocities. This might be a little much for a fox or a bobcat that happens by, (probably dropping down to a 17WSM/204 Ruger would be more "fur friendly" for them), but shoot them anyway, with whatever you got. One less coyote/fox/bobcat walking around is the goal.

Conclusion...I hope my humorous interjections didn't affend you...it was to make my point:

Shoot deer with a deer rifle.
Shoot coyotes with a coyote rifle.

Blessings in your coyote quest!

I've shot many coyotes using my 264 win mag, using a swift scirocco in 130 grain. No blow-up at all. Small hole in-small hole out. A 6.5 cm would do the same exact thing.

Last edited:
Killed a pile of wolves and yotes with the 147. Several with the 140 eld and now a few with the 135. Creed, 6.5-284, and 6.5 prc. I've killed lots of yotes with the 204 as well. If I was stand hunting with a creed I'd run a light charge and 130-140 berger or Eld. I'd stay off the shoulder for sure. The 147 would be a good choice as well but it's prolly not going to anything the 140 doesn't do. On small yotes I've had a few with bad damage but most are ok. Not the best choice. On wolves the 6.5 is wicked good.

The down side of 130, 140, 147gr bullets in 6.5 is that they have to be precisely "ranged" at over 400 yards. The hundred grain ballistic tip bullets, starting well over 3000fps, shoot noticeably flatter.

The down side of 130, 140, 147gr bullets in 6.5 is that they have to be precisely "ranged" at over 400 yards. The hundred grain ballistic tip bullets, starting well over 3000fps, shoot noticeably flatter.
If a person is concerned about 400 and precise ranging there a much better options than a 6mm as well. Those 100 grains moving at high velocity can be quite explosive. I used a 243 for a long time running 105-110's. Bad medicine for whatever that thing connected with.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.